Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Are you and your SO the same religion?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 44.30%
  • No

60 40.27%
  • Other

23 15.44%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Religion?

1. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by sorraia View Post
    Not trying to nit-pick, just wanted to point out Catholics ARE Christians. Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity, as are Baptists, Lutherans, etc. Again, not trying to nit-pick.
    There are some differences, but Catholics hold the same core beliefs as other Christians- I don't know why people sometimes say Catholics AND Christians or Catholics OR Christians. Catholics ARE Christians.
  2. Married the love of my life: 5.29.10 ♥
    Married the love of my life: 5.29.10 ♥

Me: Catholic
    DF: Lutheran

Pretty much the same thing...we're both Christian.

Getting married in a Catholic church

May 29, 2010- The day I married my best friend
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Pretty much. I was raised Lutheran but when I got married I started going to the Methodist church with DH's family when we went to visit, and have been a couple times to one out here. There is not a whole heck of a lot of difference between the two.

It is important to me that we are both Christians, though I did not seek out a Christian man.
  4. Senior Member

Other. We are not religious but I consider myself spiritual where he is agnostic although he does not officially say he is, it's just my conclusion by what he has said.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We're both Christians and it was very important to me to have someone I share a like faith with!
  6. Meow.
    Meow.
    Yes we are different. I'm Catholic and DF was raised Mormon, although he doesnt go anymore. We accept it the way it is and compromise. Since I am actively religious and he isnt, he will go with me. We are handling it very well. We would never try to convert the other either way.
  7. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Yes and No. DF is Christian who does not attend church or talk about religion.
    I am UU and attend Church every Sunday and sometimes take classes during the
    week.
    We have the same view points on most topics though. And the ones we don't make
    for fun conversation.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm Lutheran (baptized at 16)and DH was never baptized. He is open to learn about my religion as I am learning too. Its great that he is willing to go with me to church. We still have to find the right church for us.
  9. Senior Member
    Yes, we're both non-religious.

Awaiting the arrival of baby Andrew

10. Del
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyCupcake View Post
    Are you and your SO the same religion? How important to you is it?

Dh is technically Catholic, but doesn't go to church regularly anymore. I am Jewish but don't go to synagogue anymore. I didn't think being religion the same religion mattered much to me, but when starting to think about kids it raises questions. I want to do things together.

My mom converted for my dad when they got married, so it was never a question for us. My family is Jewish. We went to Temple every Friday night, Saturday morning and I attended hebrew school. I had a Bat-Mitzvah. I liked that we did these things as a family. I could never ask DH to convert for me because I wouldn't want him to ask me to convert for him. We both have our beliefs. I just feel like we are going to miss out on some important time together. How does it work for you?

I want to start attending services again. It has been years and I have moved away from my hometown. Do I just start going to temples? How did you find your church/synagogue?

We're like you. I'm Jewish, no question... but I'm also not very religious anymore.

DB's family is Catholic and he was raised Catholic, but he's pretty much an atheist now. He's very anti-religion, so I highly doubt he'd ever convert and, frankly, I wouldn't ask him to.

It doesn't bother us. When I did go to services I went, and he picked me up. He comes to my non-religious passover Seder with friends. I do Christmas with his family. I don't know, it's just not a problem.

Now... if we had kids, I'm sure it'd be more of a hassle.

As for just starting at a new temple... I'd look online for ones that are within your sect. I'm reform, so I look at the urj.org (Union for Reform Judiasm) to see what temples are in my area. I'm sure there's something like that for Conservative and Orthodox. I'd also ask around?

I really loved the temple in my last town, but I haven't gone since I moved 'cos I haven't been comfortable finding a new place. I need to start looking again. I imagine if you phone most places will talk with you and you can show up and see what you think.

Good luck!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast