Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Are you and your SO the same religion?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 44.30%
  • No

60 40.27%
  • Other

23 15.44%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Same Religion?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    We're both agnostic.

2. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian_Angela View Post
    This is so interesting! I went to a UU service once, and I felt like I was in a philosophy class! It is a really interesting religion actually! Many poets...like Coleridge was UU right?
    Last edited by princessgwynn; 01-06-2010 at 09:30 AM.
  3. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    I consider myself agnostic though really I am an anti-Christ christian if that makes any sense at all. DH is a non practicing christian. We have some conflicts but I was raised in a very accepting church and therefore am okay with his beliefs. We have agreed to raise them in the same church I was raised in (UU) because of the chance to explore other religions and make a decision on their own about what belief system works for them.

This is exactly how I became UU- my parents were both raised Catholic and fell away from the church, I needed a community. 20+ years later they are still attending the UU church.

I love knowing I am not the only UU military spouse out there- my MIL has told me not believing in 'god' means that her son is going to die while away at war because I cannot truly pray for him
    for having another UU...brush of your MIL thats what I do with mine.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  4. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Maggie View Post
    for having another UU...brush of your MIL thats what I do with mine.
    Yeah I have had a lot of practice with my grandmother telling me I am going to he^^ so I do just blow her off. She forgets that I was raised in a religion that doesn't even believe in it
  5. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    Yeah I have had a lot of practice with my grandmother telling me I am going to he^^ so I do just blow her off. She forgets that I was raised in a religion that doesn't even believe in it
    oh I know right? DF goes with me to the church sometimes but now I am teaching 4th and 5th grade RE and that takes place during service so he does not like to sit alone.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  6. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Maggie View Post
    oh I know right? DF goes with me to the church sometimes but now I am teaching 4th and 5th grade RE and that takes place during service so he does not like to sit alone.
    ?
    Last edited by princessgwynn; 01-06-2010 at 09:29 AM.
  7. Del
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    solve problems with a little time and lots of vodka
    Quote Originally Posted by melmel8 View Post
    im sooo glad to know there is others in the same boat as me...my cousin got married and pretty much made her hubby convert so i feel bad saying that im ok with him being how he is n me being how i am...this makes me feel better
    Nah, there's a lot of us, I'm pretty sure. Actually, when I was in Israel on Birthright this summer we were joking that Israel needed to buddy up with Ireland 'cos so many of us were dating Irish Catholic boys.

I would never make DB convert. It wouldn't matter for our children, even if they want to be orthodox. And religion seems so personal. I couldn't imagine forcing it on a mate...

Although, I will raise my children Jewish (though they will always know that there are other options out there and they are free to explore) because I wasn't raised all that religiously, and it's harder for me now, if I want to go to synagogue I pretty much have to go reform. I want my children to have a strong Jewish backing and I want them to KNOW they're Jewish, no matter what they choose to do as adults with their faith.

Quote Originally Posted by theamyrose View Post
    OP, I'm just like you and your SO. I'm Jewish, and I rarely go to synagogue. I go for the High Holidays, and that's about it. DB was raised Catholic, and he still says he is, though he hasn't gone to church since I've been with him.
    See. Lots of us! I think it's one of those major crosses.

Although I'm interested to see how many other posters have a Jewish parent but weren't raised Jewish and don't feel Jewish. It kinda explains why we're a shrinking population.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    Nah, there's a lot of us, I'm pretty sure. Actually, when I was in Israel on Birthright this summer we were joking that Israel needed to buddy up with Ireland 'cos so many of us were dating Irish Catholic boys.

I would never make DB convert. It wouldn't matter for our children, even if they want to be orthodox. And religion seems so personal. I couldn't imagine forcing it on a mate...

Although, I will raise my children Jewish (though they will always know that there are other options out there and they are free to explore) because I wasn't raised all that religiously, and it's harder for me now, if I want to go to synagogue I pretty much have to go reform. I want my children to have a strong Jewish backing and I want them to KNOW they're Jewish, no matter what they choose to do as adults with their faith.

See. Lots of us! I think it's one of those major crosses.

Although I'm interested to see how many other posters have a Jewish parent but weren't raised Jewish and don't feel Jewish. It kinda explains why we're a shrinking population.
    that's me!

I was turned off by the religion because what I was exposed to was more the "culture" and not the religion persey. I never really felt like I fit in, and my grandmother really forced my sister and I to go to temple. She was vehement about it, and told us that we were in fact Jewish because our mom was Jewish (yet my mom is non-practicing).

I tried very hard to get into the religion, but I felt that Catholicism fit me better
  9. Senior Member
    I'm Catholic and DB is Methodist. It doesnt matter to us at all. He's actually very interested in the Catholic faith. Neither of us really go to church anymore. Hopefully one day when I have kids, we will go back. Then we will decide where to go!
  10. Senior Member
    yes, we were both raised LDS but we no longer go to church, but its just because its not something we want in our lives right now. We're just trying to figure everything out.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast