Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Would you ever stop being friends with someone because you SO told you to?

Voters
107. You may not vote on this poll
  • No :never

29 27.10%
  • Yes

40 37.38%
  • Other (Please explain)

38 35.51%
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you ever stop being friends

1. Banned
    Banned

Would you ever stop being friends

Advertisements
    Would you ever stop being friends because your SO told you to?
  2. I'm a dirty martini! ;)
    I'm a dirty martini! ;)
    It would have to be a really deep deep feeling that my SO had but yes. Because I would hope that if I felt extremely uncomfortable with a friendship that he had with someone (guy or girl) that he would respect my feelings and end the friendship. But it would have to be a very strong reason.

ETA: If my DH TOLD me to end the friendship I'd be a little reluctant. If he asked me to and told me why he was asking me to then I would be MUCH more likely to fulfill his request.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Really depends on the reason. There are a number of people I am friends with Matt cannot stand. But only once did he ask me to stop being friends with someone and he didn't ask he suggested and it was b/c the person, a guy, declared his love for me and wouldn't take no for an answer. In that case he told me it made him uncomfortable and out of respect for him I ended the friendship. Also out of respect for myself b/c it got creepy.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    My husband would never tell me not to be friends with someone, but he might tell me to caution myself and use my better judgement if I want to hang out with them.

But if he did ask me not to, it would depend on if I really thought it was a realistic concern he was having or if he was just overreacting to a situation. The end decision would be mine though, not his.

5. Happiness Is A Choice :D
    Happiness Is A Choice :D
    If my SO said, I don't like them, I don't think you should be friends... HELL NO!

If there was a legit reason and he had specific concerns about my friend (he felt that they were dishonest, untrustworthy, etc) and he brought those to my attention, I would take what he said into consideration but ultimately they are my friends and I would have the final say.
  6. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    It depends on the reason.

I have friends that my husband doesn't like...but he just bites his tongue and deals.

If he has a valid reason why I shouldn't have a certain person as a friend, I will take it into consideration. I wouldn't just be like..."Oh, yes dear. Anything you say." I'll give him an opportunity to explain himself.

And then if I did end the friendship, I'd just politely slowly distance myself opposed to going..."HEY! MY HUSBAND SAID WE CAN'T BE FRIENDS."
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the situation, if he didn't have a reason, no I wouldn't stop being someones friend. However, if there was legit reasons I would.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yes. My SO would never say something about a friendship unless it was serious. If he felt like it was important enough to ask me to end it, I wouldn't blink an eye.
  9. just call me Brando
    just call me Brando
    My DH doesn't "tell" me to do anything. (well, maybe sometimes in bed! )

If he strongly disliked one of my friends, I would assume it was for a really good reason. That in itself would make my re-evaluate my friendship with that person. Because my husband has excellent taste in friends.
  10. Senior Member
    If it was something that honestly upset him about our friendship and hurt him deeply (for w/e reason) than yes, I would.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast