Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sending Red Cross Messages

1. Senior Member

Sending Red Cross Messages

Advertisements
    Another post prompted me to write this message. I am a Caseworker for the American Red Cross Military Disaster Services. Basically I take the calls if anyone sends a Red Cross Message to a military member.

If you have any interest, PLEASE volunteer…there are not enough and it’s a great cause. You are really impacting someone’s life. Here are some tips on what to do if you ever need to send a Red Cross Message. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I’ll do my best to answer.

1. Anyone can initiate a Red Cross Message. Whether it is approved or not is a case-by-case situation.
    2. You may call the toll free number, which is (877) 272-7337, or your local Red Cross chapter.
    3. Important information to include that will speed your process along:
    a. Name, Rank, SSN, Date of Birth of Service Member.
    b. Military Address of Service Member.
    c. Battalion/Unit/Company Name
    d. Phone number (if available) of Service Member
    e. Where Service Member is located.
    f. Name and phone number of Commander.
    g. Very Important: Name of Doctor, Name of Hospital, Phone number to Doctor/Hospital.
    h. Thorough Description of situation.
    i. Best point of contact, phone number, (i.e. you or whoever would have the most current information)

4. Make sure that what you are requesting is an emergency. Use your best judgment call here.
    5. If a situation arises where someone besides the parent has acted as the “parent/guardian” for the service member, and the emergency concerns them, make sure to describe to your caseworker how this person has acted as the service members provider (i.e. Uncle has raised service member, Uncle has had a heart attack and is not expected to survive)
    6. The most important rule is “the more information you can provide, the better”!!

Q. I’m a Fiancé, can I send a Red Cross Message? Who counts as “immediate family”?
    A. Yes, you may make the call. As stated before, it is a case by case situation, however most requests that are approved are sent from immediate family. The following are considered immediate family: Mother, Father, Siblings, Children, Step-Children.

Q. How long does it take?
    A. After you call the toll free number, you should hear from a caseworker within an hour, if you haven’t call back. Once the caseworker verifies your information (status of patient in hospital with doctor, etc…) it is sent on to the ARC Headquarters where it is forwarded to the service members military commanders, where it is passed on to the military member.
    Q. I just had a baby, can I send an ARC Message to my husband/childs father?
    A. Yes. The mother will need to give permission and the Doctor will need to verify the information, so please be prepared to give this information to your caseworker (phone numbers to mother of child and doctor).

I may think of more info, but just post a message if you have a question!
  2. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Mods, could we get this stickied??

Thanks for posting this, I think it will help a lot of people!!

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what I’ve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and that’s all I need

3. Senior Member
    Wow. Thanks for all of the info.
  4. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Good info!
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I would LOVE to volunteer - I've volunteered with the REd Cross in the past (Hurricane Katrina). How would I go about doing that?
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cnolan7263 View Post
    I would LOVE to volunteer - I've volunteered with the REd Cross in the past (Hurricane Katrina). How would I go about doing that?
    Contact your local American Red Cross chapter and tell them you want to volunteer to be an SAF worker. The training is online now, and takes about 2.5 hours, but is pretty easy and took me about a day. Let me know if you need any help!
  7. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    I am going to contact my red cross tomorrow about it
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  8. Senior Member
    Yay!! Good job ladies...I'm not sure about where you are, but they have two shifts here where you are "on call" im on night shifts...and I do it a couple times a month. Basically you do it from home...and if a call comes in they "page" your cell phone...or home phone, I don't even answer because I know it's a page...so then I call into the center and listen to the message...then contact the person making the request and go from there. Pretty simple! I do the night shift which is 5:00 pm - 8:00 am the next morning...the last shit I did I got two calls...they rarely come after 11:00 pm, but I got a call at like 6:00 pm and 1:30 am...the 1:30 am one took like 15 minutes and I was back in bed!
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    sweet thanks that is nice of you to post this!
  10. Independent Beachbody Coach
    Independent Beachbody Coach
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast