Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumb sucking advice

1. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Help Thumb sucking advice

Advertisements
    My 18 month old is a severe thumb sucker. It's usually when he is tired or already asleep. When I say severe thumb sucker.... I mean there are scars forming on his thumb!!

What can I do to break this habit?
    Last edited by crazy♥gemini; 07-27-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

2. Senior Member
    At 18 months he is old enough to understand when you correct him, so you need to remind him not to every time he does. I know a lot of parents will put something like vinegar on the thumb and they even sell products like this to stop nail biting and thumb sucking. If he is only doing it when he's sleeping you can look into a mouthguard.
  3. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    At 18 months he is old enough to understand when you correct him, so you need to remind him not to every time he does. I know a lot of parents will put something like vinegar on the thumb and they even sell products like this to stop nail biting and thumb sucking. If he is only doing it when he's sleeping you can look into a mouthguard.
    I never thought about a mouth guard. Thank you! After a quick search I found something called a Tguard and wanted to share in case any others have the same issue. It has wonderful reviews. I'm going to have to give it a try!

Thank you for the advice!

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy♥gemini View Post
    My 18 month old is a severe thumb sucker. It's usually when he is tired or already asleep. When I say severe thumb sucker.... I mean there are scars forming on his thumb!!

What can I do to break this habit?
    I sucked my thumb until I was 10!

My parents tried everything to get me stop but nothing worked. Until i got braces and they had to put a palet expander in. My thumb kept getting stuck so I eventually stopped. So I would def try the mouth guard. I don't feel like this is a discipline thing because it self soothes him. He may not even realize he is doing it. I noticed recently that when I get stressed out I bite my thumb .
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Moderator

I feel like you have high expectations of an 18 month old

I would wait until 2-3 to break the habit. Right now it's self soothing and can be broken down the line when comprehension is easier.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post

I would wait until 2-3 to break the habit. Right now it's self soothing and can be broken down the line when comprehension is easier.
    I was thinking the same thing
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    I'm 24 and I still suck my thumb when I'm tired and sleeping. My mom did it til she was at least 30. Honestly, I'm not sure it's something I will grow out of like my mom did. She tried everything to get me to stop but nothing worked. That disgusting nail polish meant to stop nail biting(which I used to have a HORRIBLE habit of), didn't phase me at all. Nobody talking to me about how it'll mess up my teeth and give me issues scared me enough to make me stop. But I don't think it really gave me issues. Yes I have crooked teeth, but so do my brothers. When I was younger I was told I need the expander pallet, but now I can't get it as it wouldn't work. I know people who needed that and didn't suck their thumb. The only issue I think it gave me was not being able to open up my jaw properly. What methods have you tried so far?
  8. Senior Member

I feel like you are severely underestimating them! Babies are much much smarter than people give them credit for. I promise you they understand a lot, that's why it's so important to talk to and teach them even when they're young. They soak it all up.

The majority of babies understand and respond to "no" around 12 months old.
  9. Senior Member
    I feel like you are severely underestimating them! Babies are much much smarter than people give them credit for. I promise you they understand a lot, that's why it's so important to talk to and teach them even when they're young. They soak it all up.

The majority of babies understand and respond to "no" around 12 months old.
    understand is one thing. Does completely ignoring it count as responding? Because that's what my 18 month old does.
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

This.

IMO, at this age thumb sucking is more instinctual than deliberate action.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast