Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: When/how did you start potty training?

1. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

When/how did you start potty training?

Advertisements
    How old were your children when you started potty training and what approaches worked best for you?

DS is only 17 months but shows a lot of interest in how the toilet works when we go to the bathroom. DH and I discussed possibly getting a potty chair and introduce him to it to see how he feels about it. Has anyone elses littles ones start this early??

2. Senior Member
    When they show some control of where they pee, we start. As in, they will stand up and squat or something. Our son was the hardest, and was still having accidents daily when he turned three. Our oldest is five and we still haven't mastered over night.

We got a potty chair and kept it in a common area, we let them run around without bottoms on and when we caught them peeing, we would put them on the potty, if any pee made it in, we gave them two m&ms.
  3. Senior Member
    I've only potty trained one, but here's my advice:
    1) Have a potty seat and a potty chair. The seat is awesome (I recommend the Bjorn one) because it gets them used to the real toilet and their are easier to poop on according to my three year old. The chair can be taken with you when you run to the park, etc.

2) If you start to potty train and they don't pick it up, stop. I pushed my son to start around 2 and he wasn't having it. At three he was completely trained, overnights included, in 3 days. I just tried too soon because of other people pushing, me thinking he was ready, etc.

3) When you're finally sure they're ready go all out. Sit at home for three or four days and don't go anywhere at all. We didn't do the naked thing because we aren't a run around naked family, but I've heard that works for others. I set oven timer for every 30 minutes and took him to the potty, then every 40 minutes, etc. In three days it worked. Sort of like the '3 day method' everyone raves about, but different. I don't think the method mattered for us, it was waiting until he was ready, which was 3 for us.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

I just read about the 3 day potty training from Pinterest. Sounds like something I'd be willing to try but I don't know if we could....my youngest I've lovingly nicknamed the Leech, so with him on the boob it would be hard to be devoted to training him. My husband and I have opposite work schedules and only have 1 day off together, so he wouldn't be able to help much.

I hope he's ready to potty train soon though, buying diapers is going to bankrupt us lol. I miss doing cloth diapers.

5. "...now do Classical Gas"
    "...now do Classical Gas"
    If he seems interested, try it and see. It may or may not stick the first time (my oldest son was like yours, very interested at about 18 months, though he regressed after that and we had to try it with him again a year later) but introducing a concept that he's already intrigued by...
    If I cannot move heaven, I will raise hell
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy♥gemini View Post
    I just read about the 3 day potty training from Pinterest. Sounds like something I'd be willing to try but I don't know if we could....my youngest I've lovingly nicknamed the Leech, so with him on the boob it would be hard to be devoted to training him. My husband and I have opposite work schedules and only have 1 day off together, so he wouldn't be able to help much.

I hope he's ready to potty train soon though, buying diapers is going to bankrupt us lol. I miss doing cloth diapers.
    We used the 3Day potty training boot camp on the advice of my coworkers and it worked. The key to it is just like Medic2Doula said, they have to be showing signs that they can hold their pee and they have to show interest in using the potty. I was also given the advice to not use a potty chair, but to get a step stool and a toilet seat for the actual toilet. So far about a dozen people in my office have used the program and it has worked for everyone. Never had to purchase potty chairs or pull-ups, it was great!

As for the time frame, my son stopped pooping in his diapers at 18 months, he just refused to go in his diaper. The down side of this was his daycare morning teacher couldn't get this through her head so she wouldn't let him use the toilet during the day. He would then try to hold it all day till I picked him up, he is there 10-11 hours a day! This caused all kinds of issues with many trips to doctors, then I snapped and lost my cool when my son started to cower in corners and cry because he had to poop, didn't want to go in his diaper, but thought he wasn't allowed to go into the bathroom. Yeah, I went to the daycare and became "that mom". The teacher resigned (not my goal, but I was fine with it) and my son did much better with the next lady because she let him use the toilet. Wee man started showing interest in peeing in the toilet and had dry diapers every morning for awhile at 2 1/2 years so we picked a weekend, did the whole 3 day boot camp (or the version my husband tried to create on his own) and he was potty trained in less than 2 days. I don't think he would have potty trained early even if the incident with the daycare had never happened.

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
  7. Moderator

My kids are older, (17, 13, and 9), and I did a 3 day method before it was cool.

With my son, I pushed hard at 18 months, which was a massive failure. But, as a first time mom, I let everyone opinions get to me. So we stopped and tried again at age 3.

I basically covered all furniture with layers of towels and we holed up in the house for three days. Lots of juice, water, and potty breaks. Day four we emerged with a potty trained kid...who also got a present because I'm not above bribery. I repeated the same process with his sisters when they both were 3 also.

I also never did a potty chair. Just a step stool with a small seat attachment.
  8. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the recommendation of skipping the potty chair. I've been looking at something like this from walmart: Toilet Training Steps

He does still have a dry diaper in the mornings and has a SERIOUS poop face when he is about to go. His poop face is a very concerned look
    I haven't really noticed any signs of when he's about to pee, but he is starting to sometimes grab at his diaper after the fact. I might just have to introduce him to it and see how he reacts.

9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    My eldest started at 1 year old. She can already poop in the toilet by 1 year and 2 months. While my youngest is a bit delayed. I started training her when she was 3 and she mastered going alone to the toilet at 4.