Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Babysitting question

1. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.

Babysitting question

Advertisements
    I will try to explain this the best I can. I was asked to babysit 2 boys from down the street. I told them I couldnt do full time. The agreed time was supposed to end this past Monday or when Mom had baby. Mom was scheduled for a C section. Mom had baby 1 week early. We had a set price agreed upon. Boys are still here every day 2 weeks after Mom had baby. We have had to take a month off of schooling to make this work. We need to start back. Am I fair to ask them for a $10 a day increase in price to continue? It would be $10 to cover the cost of having my oldest watch them here in the house while I do school work with my other 3. The other money I am making is spoken for and has a designated use. I have zero problem continuing to watch them for a little while. I just need a creative solution.

So since they have extended time past our agreement, is it fair for me to raise the price??
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    It is more than fair. Fair would be to stop babysitting immediately. You had an agreement and now she is taking advantage of you (unless there are extenuating circumstances that haven't been shared, like the baby is in the hospital or something).
  3. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    Baby isnt in the hospital. Mom is having a hard time with recovery. She was on bed rest the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. After the 18th of July it would be a no go anyways. I cant continue after that date. I dont mind doing it. And the extra money has been a huge blessing in getting camp expenses taken care of. My husband said that we set a price and should stick with that. But now we are past the agreed upon time. Thank you for the input. I will talk to him tonight.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think it is perfectly fine to renegotiate the price since you are watching them beyond what was originally expected. I would just explain why, that you need to continue schooling your other children and therefore will need to compensate your oldest child for watching them. If that doesn't work for her she is able to go elsewhere and negotiate a price with someone else
  5. Senior Member
    its more than fair to ask for more! If she can't afford it then she will have to find someone else.
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  6. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    I wont continue if they dont agree to it. I cant continue because we have already gotten way behind and they are missing a week for camp. Thanks for agreeing that I am not crazy for asking.
  7. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    They make 3 x's what we make. So they can afford it.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Icryinbaseball View Post
    They make 3 x's what we make. So they can afford it.
    That's kinda presumptive.

But, yeah, I don't think it's wrong to renegotiate.
  9. So lost and wandering.
    So lost and wandering.
    They were paying much more than I charge before they switched out for the summer. The kids go to the private school/day care facility during the school year. They pay more than what I charge for just the little one alone.