Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: I suck at this...

  1. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    *IGrow'EmXL*'s Avatar
    *IGrow'EmXL* is offline
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34,834
    Weekly Activity
    36.31%

    #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindorella View Post
    Well, this is what I walked into in the kitchen today so just opening the cabinets is super cute.






  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    KnittingGuamMama's Avatar
    KnittingGuamMama is online now
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    GUAM!!!!
    Posts
    5,845
    Weekly Activity
    33.31%

    #22
    Quote Originally Posted by *IGrowPeople* View Post
    He's too young for time outs, he wouldn't stay where I put him if his life depended on in Also, there's no way to keep him out of the kitchen, it's attached to the living room and since it's not my house I can't put the baby locks in the cabinents.



    I've done that too I've given him a swat on his bum, a swat on his hand...he only laughs harder (which I don't understand because it has got to sting a bit ).

    That was Wyatt around Landon's age, too!! He'd grab at the TV cords or something and then when he got a swat, he'd laugh and keep on going. We started time outs early (like around 8/9mos when he was still cruising). Even at that age, I would tell him no with warnings (3 for each 'wrong', now it's 2 warnings and soon enough we'll be down to one warning) and then he'd have to sit in the Bad Boy corner for about 40sec at that age. The first dozen times I had to keep putting him back to sitting but now he sits on his bad boy stool and pouts or cries. It's worked really well for us. It's definitely not a first time's magic type of thing but if you're consistent, it will sink in.

    I still have trouble not laughing with Wyatt sometimes but once Landon starts talking back at you, it gets easier
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Mrs.Kaepernick's Avatar
    Mrs.Kaepernick is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Eielson AFB, AK
    Posts
    20,649
    Weekly Activity
    0.3%

    #23
    For a time out you could put him in his crib for a while without and any toys.
  4. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    *IGrow'EmXL*'s Avatar
    *IGrow'EmXL* is offline
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34,834
    Weekly Activity
    36.31%

    #24
    Quote Originally Posted by huladangelo View Post
    That was Wyatt around Landon's age, too!! He'd grab at the TV cords or something and then when he got a swat, he'd laugh and keep on going. We started time outs early (like around 8/9mos when he was still cruising). Even at that age, I would tell him no with warnings (3 for each 'wrong', now it's 2 warnings and soon enough we'll be down to one warning) and then he'd have to sit in the Bad Boy corner for about 40sec at that age. The first dozen times I had to keep putting him back to sitting but now he sits on his bad boy stool and pouts or cries. It's worked really well for us. It's definitely not a first time's magic type of thing but if you're consistent, it will sink in.

    I still have trouble not laughing with Wyatt sometimes but once Landon starts talking back at you, it gets easier
    I don't know how you did it...I sit landon down and he immediately gets back up no matter how many times I sit him back down

    Quote Originally Posted by HollySunshine View Post
    For a time out you could put him in his crib for a while without and any toys.
    We don't have one (or a PnP)



  5. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    gogogadgetsam's Avatar
    gogogadgetsam is offline
    Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,434
    Weekly Activity
    6.3%

    #25
    Saying no at his age is pretty pointless. Your dh probably startles him so he knows to stop. Plus saying no over and over will make him become immune to it. I have only had that specific problem(cabinets) with my youngest and I taught her how to close them, rather than trying to keep her from them. I just say "Victoria close the door for mommy" and she does, then we go and play with something else. We've been doing it that way for over six months and now she very rarely touches them(except to close them when I leave them open ) it's annoying because it isn't effective right away but in the long run it works.
  6. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    *IGrow'EmXL*'s Avatar
    *IGrow'EmXL* is offline
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34,834
    Weekly Activity
    36.31%

    #26
    Quote Originally Posted by SamInCT View Post
    Saying no at his age is pretty pointless. Your dh probably startles him so he knows to stop. Plus saying no over and over will make him become immune to it. I have only had that specific problem(cabinets) with my youngest and I taught her how to close them, rather than trying to keep her from them. I just say "Victoria close the door for mommy" and she does, then we go and play with something else. We've been doing it that way for over six months and now she very rarely touches them(except to close them when I leave them open ) it's annoying because it isn't effective right away but in the long run it works.
    I actually tried that a few times and he actually would close them.....and then open them right back up

    Maybe I'll try to work that angle more often



  7. Senior Member
    itchywitch's Avatar
    itchywitch is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Twentynine Palms
    Posts
    2,735
    Weekly Activity
    0.3%
    #27
    we use a time out bottle and have since the girls were about a year old Relax Bottle/Time Out Timer « My Crazy Blessed Life!

    The issue you need to look out for is as he gets older you do not want to be the push over parent. Starting now to find a way to get him to listen to you is imparative other wise he will NEVER take you seriously. You just need to find the method that works for both of you.


    No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  8. Account Closed
    katinahat's Avatar
    katinahat is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    20,016
    Weekly Activity
    334.93%
    #28
    I highly, highly recommend Positive Discipline for The First Three Years. We've been using it with Aubree (who is EXTREMELY strong-willed) and it's incredible. Game-changing. It talks about instead of teaching them what they SHOULDN'T do, teach them what they SHOULD do, and a number of other techniques and how to implement them.

    Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child (Positive Discipline Library): Jane Nelsen Ed.D., Cheryl Erwin, Roslyn Ann Duffy: 9780307341594: Amazon.com: Books

    Seriously an awesome book.
  9. Counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike
    KoalaBär's Avatar
    KoalaBär is offline
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey turnpike
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    We're finally getting out of Kansas!
    Posts
    7,896
    Weekly Activity
    0.3%

    #29
    Quote Originally Posted by inmansgirl06 View Post
    we use a time out bottle and have since the girls were about a year old Relax Bottle/Time Out Timer « My Crazy Blessed Life!

    The issue you need to look out for is as he gets older you do not want to be the push over parent. Starting now to find a way to get him to listen to you is imparative other wise he will NEVER take you seriously. You just need to find the method that works for both of you.
    Oh my gosh, I want one of these for ME
    Oh hello, this is my blog.



    DEPLOYMENT #4 IS OVER!
  10. I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    *IGrow'EmXL*'s Avatar
    *IGrow'EmXL* is offline
    I was the perfect mom, until I had kids.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Near Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    34,834
    Weekly Activity
    36.31%

    #30
    Quote Originally Posted by inmansgirl06 View Post
    we use a time out bottle and have since the girls were about a year old Relax Bottle/Time Out Timer « My Crazy Blessed Life!

    The issue you need to look out for is as he gets older you do not want to be the push over parent. Starting now to find a way to get him to listen to you is imparative other wise he will NEVER take you seriously. You just need to find the method that works for both of you.
    That is a really cool idea

    Quote Originally Posted by katinahat View Post
    I highly, highly recommend Positive Discipline for The First Three Years. We've been using it with Aubree (who is EXTREMELY strong-willed) and it's incredible. Game-changing. It talks about instead of teaching them what they SHOULDN'T do, teach them what they SHOULD do, and a number of other techniques and how to implement them.

    Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child (Positive Discipline Library): Jane Nelsen Ed.D., Cheryl Erwin, Roslyn Ann Duffy: 9780307341594: Amazon.com: Books

    Seriously an awesome book.
    I think I'll have to order that



Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •