Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Anything better than USAA car buying program?

1. Senior Member

Anything better than USAA car buying program?

Advertisements
    So I'm pretty sure later this year I'm going to sell my car privately and buy a new one. I'm not 100% decided on new vs used but I'm leaning heavily toward a 2019 RAV4, which aren't available yet so I can't check the prices. I checked the car buying program for a 2018 and it gave me a pretty sweet number, but is that likely to be the best?

I've used the program before to buy the car I have now and I was super happy with it, but now that I'm older and trying to be a little more financially savvy I just wanna make sure I'm aware of everything available. Also, could I bring that number into a dealership and try to negotiate better financing through them, or does it not work that way? For example, the car buying program quoted me like $22k and just a general interest rate of 2.9%. The dealership currently has an interest rate offer of 1.9%, but they're probably not gonna offer to sell me the car for $22k. Could I ask for the car at $22k but finance through them to get the better interest rate, or is that not how it works? How else do you shop for interest rates?
  2. Moderator

Yes, you can negotiate! We use the USAA program every time we buy a car, but have never actually ended up financing through it in the end. Our newest car, we used it to negotiate a better interest rate and a service warranty out of them. It gives you a lot of leverage because they know you already have a great deal they are contractually obligated to give you, so if they have whatever reason to prefer another lender or whatever, they work to make it happen! Love that program.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Yes, you can negotiate! We use the USAA program every time we buy a car, but have never actually ended up financing through it in the end. Our newest car, we used it to negotiate a better interest rate and a service warranty out of them. It gives you a lot of leverage because they know you already have a great deal they are contractually obligated to give you, so if they have whatever reason to prefer another lender or whatever, they work to make it happen! Love that program.
    Awesome! That’s good news, I was afraid by using the program I was gonna be locked into exactly their offer.
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

When we bought our RAV4 (new in 2011), we got preapproved from USAA but the Toyota dealership was able to beat USAA’s rate. So we went with Toyota. Super easy to deal with.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. Senior Member
    You can also get the quite from USAA and then contact every dealer within a remotely reasonable distance for you Druving for 2 hours is probably worth saving $500, for example). Tell them that you want a then to tell you how much over invoice price (that's what the dealer pays to buy the car from Toyota, before any rebates or discounts they may have). You get all these offers before you set foot into the dealership, so the pain of haggling goes mostly away. You can do the same for financing. Once you have all the offers, take the lowest and email it to the 2-3 other lowest offers, and ask if they can beat it (or match it if they are closer),

Also, since you said you are trying to be financially savvy, I will tell you that it never, ever, ever makes sense to buy a new car. Get a used 2017 or 2018 with low miles and save thousands of dollars!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    You can also get the quite from USAA and then contact every dealer within a remotely reasonable distance for you Druving for 2 hours is probably worth saving $500, for example). Tell them that you want a then to tell you how much over invoice price (that's what the dealer pays to buy the car from Toyota, before any rebates or discounts they may have). You get all these offers before you set foot into the dealership, so the pain of haggling goes mostly away. You can do the same for financing. Once you have all the offers, take the lowest and email it to the 2-3 other lowest offers, and ask if they can beat it (or match it if they are closer),

Also, since you said you are trying to be financially savvy, I will tell you that it never, ever, ever makes sense to buy a new car. Get a used 2017 or 2018 with low miles and save thousands of dollars!
    Thanks!

I’m definitely looking into used as well, but tbhhhh 2019 has a way better body style that I’m willing to pay a little more for lol. Just depends how much more. I’m hoping once the 2019s come out with the new body style, the prices will drop on the older ones because they don’t look cool anymore.
  7. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So I'm pretty sure later this year I'm going to sell my car privately and buy a new one. I'm not 100% decided on new vs used but I'm leaning heavily toward a 2019 RAV4, which aren't available yet so I can't check the prices. I checked the car buying program for a 2018 and it gave me a pretty sweet number, but is that likely to be the best?

I've used the program before to buy the car I have now and I was super happy with it, but now that I'm older and trying to be a little more financially savvy I just wanna make sure I'm aware of everything available. Also, could I bring that number into a dealership and try to negotiate better financing through them, or does it not work that way? For example, the car buying program quoted me like $22k and just a general interest rate of 2.9%. The dealership currently has an interest rate offer of 1.9%, but they're probably not gonna offer to sell me the car for $22k. Could I ask for the car at $22k but finance through them to get the better interest rate, or is that not how it works? How else do you shop for interest rates?
    Wow, I guess after todays commercial the program is suspected to help us among all the many perks we have for our use. I just don't like those who over abuse their power.
  8. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Was it a phone call or direct conversation?