Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open claim

1. Senior Member

Open claim

Advertisements
    DH and I want to switch car insurance. But, we were in a car accident on our way home from visiting family. We are going through the other persons insurance, since it was a fender bender and we were hit from behind. So the claim isn't open with our insurance, it's open with the other person's insurance. DH got a new truck, my car was the one that was hit, not his. And insurance has gone up over $200! The guy's insurance company is quite small, so things are taking longer to get done to get my car fixed. I doubt it will all be taken car of by the next insurance payment next month so we have been looking around at other insurance companies. But we're stumped on whether or not we can cancel our current policy with the open claim even though the claim is open with the other insurance company. Can anyone give some insight or advice on this, please?!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yes you can.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yes, you are able to cancel the policy. The way insurance works is that whoever was insuring the car at the time of the accident is responsible for the claim, so even if you were going through your insurance you would still be able to cancel. The only snag I could foresee is that the new insurer might not want to write a policy on the car until the repairs have been completed (can't quite tell from your OP but it sounds like the repairs aren't done yet?). But that may vary company to company.

As a sidenote it's really strange that a not at fault accident is making your rates go up! I would double check and see how it is being reported ... if the report is showing you were at fault, that needs to be corrected or it will affect the new quote as well.
  4. Senior Member
    It sounds like the rates went up because your DH got a new, and likely more expensive car, not because of the accident.

But yes, you should be able to switch insurance.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    I would call and make sure, but like Villanelle said, it might be because of the new vehicle. We switched to USAA after progressive sided with a drunk driver who plowed into my husband at a stop sign (I was behind him and saw it).
  6. Senior Member
    Yes the rate is going up because of the new vehicle. Not because of the accident. After we reported the accident our rate stayed the same and did so til we added his new vehicle. I'm thinking it went up drastically because we only have two more months left in our policy, than the policy renews. I'm considering calling them and seeing what our rate would be after the policy renews to see if it goes down. While we could pay the next two months at $200+ increase, we don't really want to. Although, not switching would be less of a hassle.
  7. Senior Member
    It seems like these are questions you should be asking your insurance company directly, or an insurance broker, to understand everything that you are/not liable for.
  8. Senior Member
    Insurance premiums depends on year and make of the car so Iím sure thatís why the premium went up and not because of the accident.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Yes the rate is going up because of the new vehicle. Not because of the accident. After we reported the accident our rate stayed the same and did so til we added his new vehicle. I'm thinking it went up drastically because we only have two more months left in our policy, than the policy renews. I'm considering calling them and seeing what our rate would be after the policy renews to see if it goes down. While we could pay the next two months at $200+ increase, we don't really want to. Although, not switching would be less of a hassle.
    In my experience, your rate doesn't just change when the policy renews, so that $200 change is probably about the same as it will be after the renewal, unless there are other policy discounts you might qualify for or other changes. It's worth a call to see what they think the policy will be at renewal, but I doubt there will be much change unless there is some other factor (like a change in age, discount due to being a long term policy holder, or something similar.)

It can't hurt to ask, or to call around and get quotes, but you may be stuck. Expensive new car=expensive new insurance.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Is it a brand new car? If so, the 200 dollar increase would make sense. New cars arenít cheap to insure.

They pro rate so your premium isnít going to change much, if at all, once it renews.

A lot of people donít take into consideration what their insurance premium will be after they purchase a new vehicle. In the future, you can get a quote from your insurance company and see how much your new vehicle will add to your insurance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast