Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used car requirements

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Used car requirements

Advertisements
    I'm moving this month and will need to purchase a new (to me) car. What's on your list to double check?

-Carfax/past accidents or major repairs
    -Past owners smoking (this is a deal breaker for me)
    -Mileage + MPG
    -Title status (my previous car was a salvage title but my insurance didn't notify me and I don't want to deal with that again)
    Last edited by KittenMittens; 01-08-2017 at 11:45 AM.
  2. Senior Member
    Gas mileage is a big thing for me...also leg room for my husband's long legs and backseat room for our daughter's car seat.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This might be harder for you to avoid, but I won't buy a used car that was owned in the north because of the rust issue. Just be sure to check it carefully of its from a snowy region.

Eta: also open recalls, especially with the takara recall being so wide spread. Idk what the laws are concerning it where you'll be buying the car, but in Florida dealers can't sell a car of it has aN open recall. That's why couldn't buy that car I told you about when I went through all that drama.

I Eelizah
  4. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    This might be harder for you to avoid, but I won't buy a used car that was owned in the north because of the rust issue. Just be sure to check it carefully of its from a snowy region.
    good point! I'm luckily buying it when I get there instead of here, so I don't have to deal with new plates/registration in a different state.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    good point! I'm luckily buying it when I get there instead of here, so I don't have to deal with new plates/registration in a different state.
    Where ya going?
  6. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNTrish View Post
    Where ya going?
    heh, nooooooooot DC. can't find a job despite 3 degrees + my current job pays shit = no cash, can't afford to stay. i'm actually moving in with my dad for a while so i can save up some money and find something elsewhere, where i'm more marketable. i've sent over 150 job applications and been to idk how many interviews, only to get turned away with the exact. same. reasoning. every time. so i'm taking it as a sign to leave before i run dry/go insane from my shit job
  7. Moderator

Find a mechanic and take it there to be checked out before you buy. A lot of mechanic shops will do this for free. It will help you to find out honestly if there is anything wrong with the vehicle.
  8. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Find a mechanic and take it there to be checked out before you buy. A lot of mechanic shops will do this for free. It will help you to find out honestly if there is anything wrong with the vehicle.
    I like this! Thanks!
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    I like this! Thanks!
    You're welcome! I've found a lot of dealerships understand that you want an independent opinion. If they don't, or try to talk me out of it, I go somewhere else.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    This!

Friends of mine just purchased a used Ford Fusion without really checking into the vehicle. In less than a month there were battery, sound system, and lighting issues. Turns out not only was there an open recall, but the spark plugs were all done for. They ended up getting rid of it via trade-in at another dealership and took a HUGE loss on it. So now they're way upside down on a brand new loan (the initial was large enough to purchase two vehicles; one new, one used) and had to take out another to get another brand new vehicle.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast