Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Financial paperwork and planning

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Financial paperwork and planning

Advertisements
    DH and I are finally getting around to figuring out some financial/life paperwork stuff we've neglected (oops )

So far we have worked out life insurance (enrolling in better plans through employers) and are writing wills. We still need to do living wills as well. We should probably have some powers of attorney in place too. And double check that we are each other's beneficiaries on all accounts/funds/insurances.

What else are we missing? Anything else you did with your spouse that was important or totally unnecessary?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Have you guys ever had a retirement/financial plan done? You can meet w/ an associate financial consultant at the company I work for and they will do it for free for you two. I can hook you up with a name if you are interested.
  3. Senior Member
    What about disability insurance? Life instance works for if you die but if you end up severely disabled not only will you not be able to keep your job but you will also have significant medical bills

A will, living will, health care power of attorney, and legal power of attorney are also good things to have in place.
  4. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by katiebee View Post
    Have you guys ever had a retirement/financial plan done? You can meet w/ an associate financial consultant at the company I work for and they will do it for free for you two. I can hook you up with a name if you are interested.
    Oh that would be awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    What about disability insurance? Life instance works for if you die but if you end up severely disabled not only will you not be able to keep your job but you will also have significant medical bills

A will, living will, health care power of attorney, and legal power of attorney are also good things to have in place.
    I would never qualify for disability insurance but DH might, good idea.
    We're getting an advanced health directive for each of us (living will & medical POA are combined in CA) but a legal POA is a good idea too.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  5. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Also, have you guys looked into having a trust written up? Its not just for people with oodles of money, trusts are a great way to have more control over your assets in the future.