Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I just found out our accountant is crazy and isn't an accountant! Help!?

1. Regular Member

I just found out our accountant is crazy and isn't an accountant! Help!?

Advertisements
    Sorry for the dramatic subject subject line. It's true though. Our accountant for the past three years doesn't appear to actually be an accountant. We have developed an outside of work friendship over the past three years. Beyond salvage at this point. Totally okay with that. If the person is, they aren't licensed and do not appear in the state database. I'm ABSOLUTELY FLOORED. I'm not surprised, because I wouldn't have looked up their name if they hadn't started acting CRAZY recently. After a series of totally inappropriate emails and text messages, I searched for the licensing info last night. Nothing. Went through previous emails and confirmed we didn't just assume they were an accountant. Nope. Clearly identifies self as a CPA.
    What the hell do I do?
    1. Figure out where and who to report this to.
    2. Contact three credit reporting agencies and request a security note or stop on our names.

My list is pathetic. Any suggestions would be SUPER appreciated.
    Dell
  2. Senior Member
    You can be an accountant without being a CPA. That is just a certification most people employing an accountant want them to have. Most people have an accounting job and take their CPA certification while working (this can take over a year) so I wouldn't be too worried about this being some type of scam, BUT it is still wrong if they are advertising that they are a CPA and are not. I would block the accountants access to your accounts until you can get to the bottom of this
  3. Regular Member
    Did not know that about the CPA certificiation! For the past three years I have emails that I was cc:d on from accountant saying "I am so-and-so's CPA" and receipts created by the person for CPA services. My husband pulled a tax return (I have no idea from where - I'll ask him) and it's not our signatures. I'm a small business owner and I'm hitting myself in the face. I've already scheduled a "How the hell did I miss this?" appointment with myself, but right now- I'm just trying to create a plan of action. The "accountant" sent explicit pictures to both of us in an email on Thursday and that was the CRAZY that started this. Ugggh.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    You can be an accountant without being a CPA. That is just a certification most people employing an accountant want them to have. Most people have an accounting job and take their CPA certification while working (this can take over a year) so I wouldn't be too worried about this being some type of scam, BUT it is still wrong if they are advertising that they are a CPA and are not. I would block the accountants access to your accounts until you can get to the bottom of this
    We got all the hard-copies of the books about three months ago because it seemed like personal issues were starting to interfere with cpa services. So that's good.

That didn't go over well on the friendship front but we communicated (the accountant and I) and it seemed like we were good. I don't have the energy or time after a certain amount to get wrapped up in bad behavior.

I'll make a list (or look it up) of typical cpa financial account authorizations so I don't miss anything. She doesn't have access to bookkeeping accounts online, but I'll change any passwords to make sure.

She was also the bookkeeper. She also attacked me personally and stated that I was in between her and my husband. I don't say people are mentally ill - but she's full on having a psychotic break with reality. She said she drive my business into the ground. It's super small - probably not gonna happen. About a year ago I had a bunch of health issues so that's pretty much what drove my business "into the ground". I'm still not particularly enthusiastic about her creating ANY commotion attached to my name.

RAHFGHFHF!

1. Bank Accounts - Make sure all signature cards are pulled.
    2. Online Banking - Passwords
    3. Company Cards - Request Replacement of card
    4. IRS - look up reporting methods
    5. Find a new CPA (that was already on the list)
    6. Vendors - I don't even know.

I'm yelling at my kids. I'm gonna have some coffee and try not to think about it.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dell82 View Post
    We got all the hard-copies of the books about three months ago because it seemed like personal issues were starting to interfere with cpa services. So that's good.

That didn't go over well on the friendship front but we communicated (the accountant and I) and it seemed like we were good. I don't have the energy or time after a certain amount to get wrapped up in bad behavior.

I'll make a list (or look it up) of typical cpa financial account authorizations so I don't miss anything. She doesn't have access to bookkeeping accounts online, but I'll change any passwords to make sure.

She was also the bookkeeper. She also attacked me personally and stated that I was in between her and my husband. I don't say people are mentally ill - but she's full on having a psychotic break with reality. She said she drive my business into the ground. It's super small - probably not gonna happen. About a year ago I had a bunch of health issues so that's pretty much what drove my business "into the ground". I'm still not particularly enthusiastic about her creating ANY commotion attached to my name.

RAHFGHFHF!

1. Bank Accounts - Make sure all signature cards are pulled.
    2. Online Banking - Passwords
    3. Company Cards - Request Replacement of card
    4. IRS - look up reporting methods
    5. Find a new CPA (that was already on the list)
    6. Vendors - I don't even know.

I'm yelling at my kids. I'm gonna have some coffee and try not to think about it.
    Oh my gosh. This sounds absolutely crazy, definitely stay away from that. I almost have my accounting degree by the way
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Oh my gosh. This sounds absolutely crazy, definitely stay away from that. I almost have my accounting degree by the way
    No joke! I don't get it. I mean, obviously there are really messed up people and whatnot, but gimme a break. It's been a really long time (actually maybe NEVER) that has my husband literally blush with embarrassment for the person sending it. On the upside, this ridiculousness is not the norm, so there's not like burn out on our parts. Yeah for having a law abiding lifestyle!
  7. Regular Member
    Writing that list above helped clarify what I need to do. I found the IRS info on reporting and am gonna go to another accountant with all of the books to review them. Those two weren't on the list.
  8. Senior Member
    Writing that list above helped clarify what I need to do. I found the IRS info on reporting and am gonna go to another accountant with all of the books to review them. Those two weren't on the list.
    Good! I'm sorry you had to go through this!
  9. Senior Member
    She was also the bookkeeper.
    The bookkeeper was your CPA? That doesn't make sense.
  10. Regular Member
    Wait, maybe I don't know what bookkeeper means.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast