Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One car families?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

One car families?

Advertisements
    Are there any single car families out there? If so, do you have any advice...?
    Is it doable...?
    Trying to figure out if we should wait on getting married and moving in until we have two cars. We also have a 4 year old and I would like to eventually find work and reenroll in college.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahvflores View Post
    Are there any single car families out there? If so, do you have any advice...?
    Is it doable...?
    Trying to figure out if we should wait on getting married and moving in until we have two cars. We also have a 4 year old and I would like to eventually find work and reenroll in college.
    In your last thread, Military culture encouraging cheating...? or am I insecure?, you seemed to be apprehensive about getting married. Did you ever sort that out?

In some other of your other threads the one-car issue was discussed. Since he will be getting deployed you could use his car during that time. Or you could buy a cheap car (probably less than $2,000) in cash to get from point A to point B.

Having one car is manageable but requires planning and scheduling to get everyone where they need to be.

3. Senior Member
    Sort of. We only have on car right now. We PCSed to the States for 8 months in between Germany and Japan. We owned one car (sold our second car in Germany, which was purchased when we arrive there) and it would have been silly to buy a car that we could only used for about 6 months.

It's been okay, but in large part because I'm not working. DH's work schedule is very erratic, so there's no way we could have had a regular schedule where one dropped the other off. He can go in one day at 430 to brief for an early flight, and then a couple days later go in at noon and stay until midnight. Also, we live in a place where I can walk to a grocery store and lots of other things, and we are close enough to his work that he can bike if necessary. He was biking a lot when we first got here, but as his schedule got more crazy, he didn't want to add the extra 30 minutes (15 each way) to his very full days. Anyway, that's why it has worked for us, and even then, longer term it might get tough.

You can find decent used cars in good shape with a lot if life left in them for $3000ish, so I'd start saving and set my mind to a very modest, older car.
    Last edited by villanelle; 04-28-2016 at 04:19 PM.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    And yes, you should wait to get married. But the car is pretty far down on the list of reasons why.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    We had only 1 for 4 years in England.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Regular Member
    We were a one vehicle family for about 3 years & just bought our second vehicle this past summer. SOOOO much better for us. We have a 4 year old & I am almost due with #2. We live in California so if there would have ever been a fire (which happened before nearby) or anything I would have been stuck. I was a stay at home mom & literally only left the house to get groceries when he was off. It was awful. If you can afford to get another vehicle...do.
  7. Senior Member
    Just addressing the car thing, I hated only having one car and will never ever do it again. It would be fine while he's deployed and not using the car but otherwise, nah.
  8. Moderator

We have one car and four kids... so yes I'd say it can be done. Would be much more frustrating if I worked outside the home, but we have dealt with that circumstance as well. It isn't always fun but it definitely saves us money.
  9. Senior Member
    We did it for about 2 years when we were younger, but a good chunk of that time he was away so it was tolerable. Now, at least when he is home I can't imagine making it work with one car. Between me working, shuffling the kids and his work it just would not work.
  10. Senior Member
    Did just fine with being a 1 car family. However I was very picky about finding a job that matched his time slot, which was actually pretty difficult considering he was overnights.

Now that we're expecting our first baby in a month or two I will definitely be needing the car. I will be driving him to and from work, including lunch if he's up for eating. This can get crazy expensive however, as we do not live on base (about 20 minutes out) and we're also quite a distance away from ammenities like the grocery store or gas station (so please take this into mind as well). Car pooling will be difficult as nobody lives near us.

I hope once our lease is up we would discuss living on base to cut down on fuel and for me to be much closer to resources (fuel is rationed here). If I had known this would be a problem, I would have suggested we lived on base as I (or he) could walk/bike to our destination, rendering using our 1 vehicle as an option.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast