Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Buying two cars at once?

  1. Champagne Supernova
    Farfalla's Avatar
    Farfalla is offline
    Champagne Supernova
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    319
    #1

    Buying two cars at once?

    Advertisements
    Are there any deals when you do this?

    Both DHs and my car are going to crap and I know they aren't going to make it on the drive to San Diego. I tried to salvage my car as much as I could as its SO close to being paid off but at this point it needs more work than its worth and there just isn't the time to make either of our cars trustworthy of the drive. So, DH and I are considering looking at cars this weekend.. but I've never heard of getting two cars at once. Wed both trade in our vehicles for newer ones.

    Has anyone done this? Will dealerships make a "deal"?
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Tojai's Avatar
    Tojai is offline
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Pete FL
    Posts
    30,026


    #2
    One of my coworkers did this when she and her DH got back from an overseas PCS. They both needed new cars and wanted the same make, so they bought two cars that day at the same dealer. I think they did try to use that for leverage to get a better price but I'm not sure how well it worked (a good salesman is going to make you feel like you're getting something even if you're not, kwim?). But I don't think it could hurt to try to use it in your negotiations. In the end it's what the dealer is willing to do and it's SO dependent on the dealer, what you're buying and trading in, how much close to their quotes they are, etc.
  3. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #3
    If you are moving, it might make more sense to only buy one car, so you don't have to drive two across country. You *might* get a slightly better deal if you are buying two, especially if you do it at month end at a place that need to make quota, but you also spend a lot more in gas and wear and tear. Also, it sounds like you are buying used, but if you are considering new, remember that for the first X (1000?) miles, you aren't usually supposed to drive very fast, which would be a major pain on a cross country trip.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    tofuface's Avatar
    tofuface is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    738
    #4
    they might be able to knock off 2000 or something... not sure. it probably depends on the dealer and the type of car you're getting.
  5. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,566

    #5
    If you're moving to CA, research their "use tax" on vehicles purchased out of state within a year of moving there. Anything you save may be negated by the obnoxious taxes, so you may be financially better off trying to sell your current vehicles for cash and buying after you get there. That's almost always better for you than a trade, to be honest. I'd just check out all the options.
  6. Senior Member
    ILoveOwls's Avatar
    ILoveOwls is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    4,312
    #6
    Disregard post, misread the original post.
  7. Champagne Supernova
    Farfalla's Avatar
    Farfalla is offline
    Champagne Supernova
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    319
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    One of my coworkers did this when she and her DH got back from an overseas PCS. They both needed new cars and wanted the same make, so they bought two cars that day at the same dealer. I think they did try to use that for leverage to get a better price but I'm not sure how well it worked (a good salesman is going to make you feel like you're getting something even if you're not, kwim?). But I don't think it could hurt to try to use it in your negotiations. In the end it's what the dealer is willing to do and it's SO dependent on the dealer, what you're buying and trading in, how much close to their quotes they are, etc.
    Definitely know what you mean.. I worry about this!

    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you are moving, it might make more sense to only buy one car, so you don't have to drive two across country. You *might* get a slightly better deal if you are buying two, especially if you do it at month end at a place that need to make quota, but you also spend a lot more in gas and wear and tear. Also, it sounds like you are buying used, but if you are considering new, remember that for the first X (1000?) miles, you aren't usually supposed to drive very fast, which would be a major pain on a cross country trip.
    We've considered this but Im worried about only having one car when we get there. We dont know where we'll be living yet and I know getting on base is awful so its going to be hard to use one car when we're both working. Im also worried that if we just get one car now and try to get one once we get out there we'll either spend more then we would here, or we wont be able to get it for some reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    If you're moving to CA, research their "use tax" on vehicles purchased out of state within a year of moving there. Anything you save may be negated by the obnoxious taxes, so you may be financially better off trying to sell your current vehicles for cash and buying after you get there. That's almost always better for you than a trade, to be honest. I'd just check out all the options.
    can you tell me more about this use tax? Do I have to pax tax on the car to have it there even if its registered in Florida? Is it a yearly property tax type of thing?
  8. Waiting Around
    Mac N Cheese's Avatar
    Mac N Cheese is offline
    Waiting Around
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    26,420
    Blog Entries
    1
    #8
    Do you have USAA? They have a true car buying program and you can find the cheapest Carr for what you want all online before seeing a dealer. We got a great price on our van this way. You can also check out the same car prices for where you are moving to to see who is cheaper and offering a better deal.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

  9. Moderator
    TheSisterWife's Avatar
    TheSisterWife is offline
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20,566

    #9
    If you're not registering it in CA, then the licensing fee/use tax/whatever it's called this year shouldn't apply. Is FL your State of Residence?
  10. Champagne Supernova
    Farfalla's Avatar
    Farfalla is offline
    Champagne Supernova
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    319
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    If you're not registering it in CA, then the licensing fee/use tax/whatever it's called this year shouldn't apply. Is FL your State of Residence?
    Yes fl is our state of residence. I plan to keep it like that unless I have to change it (do i at some point?)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •