Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Credit card?

1. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries

Credit card?

Advertisements
    After everything the last few months, my credit SUCKS, I'm on credit karma and one of the things it suggests is to get a credit card. I'm seriously thinking about it, just unsure of where to start and all that. Help?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If you have a bank account, start there.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    My first credit card I went to my bank and signed up for a visa through them (Chase). Then I used it like a debit card: aka, I never spend more on that card than what was in my bank account, and I paid it off, in full, every month. In fact, I still use it like a debit card and after 6 years of it, my credit is AWESOME. Never, ever, spend more than you can afford to pay off that month.
  4. Moderator

Honestly, if you have really bad credit right now, not sure if you will be able to get a card. Some banks and credit companies offer a secure credit card. You put up (just as example) $300 and use it like a credit card. I've never used one, but it might be a starting point for you.

Otherwise, like Asher said, start with a bank account. Use it wisely, don't overdraw it, and try to build up savings.
  5. Senior Member
    You do not want a card with an annual fee. That's a complete waste of money.

Also, you know yourself. Look at your habits, and be honest. If you think there's any chance you won't pay it off 100% every month, or that having a card will cause you to spend more, don't get one. But if you are going to pay it off every month, then the interest rate doesn't matter.

You might want to contact your bank and see if they can issue you a card, then set up something to auto pay from the card every month (if you have anything you can do that for). Then set up an auto payment to your car every month. So if you charge your Netflix to the card and that is $15, then set up a $15 autopay to the card every month a couple days after the Netflix pays. Or better yet, set it up so your card pays itself off in full every month, if you have the option to do that. Then there is no chance you'll ever miss a pay cycle if you get busy or just forget. Then don't use the card for anything else. If you think the card will be a temptation in any way, but still want to get one, that's the best way to deal with it. It means you will have a card that will show up on your credit report, and they card will get used, but you won't be using the card in ways that might get you in trouble.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice everyone I looked at my credit union and they offer two. I'm going to call them tomorrow and make an appointment to see about getting one. I only plan on using it things I buy aka budget for anyway.