Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Trading in a car?

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver

Trading in a car?

Advertisements
    Can someone who's trading in a car give me some insight? What was your experience like? Anything you wish you knew before doing it?

We're thinking about trading in E's car (too many issues with it), it's a 2013 Focus ST with less than 25k on it. He is thinking about just trading it in to the dealership for something else, but he's not sure if he wants another Ford.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The dealership will rip him off. Period. They are there to make profits and commissions.

However, for me, I love Carmax. They will give you an estimate, and buy your car, whether you buy one of their or not. They are not always going to be the highest, and if you are good at negotiating, you may get more from a dealer. I however, like the lack of hassle.

Also, look on Kelley Blue Book online.

There are three values. One of them is the "trade in value." So you go in having a rough idea of what you should be getting.

Also, if you bought your car new, and there are still payments on it, expect to not get enough to pay it off.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    You will make the most money with a private sale, but it can take longer, so if you wanted to get it over with sooner, a dealership is the way to go. Look up KBB value, alone with car selling websites to see what similar cars are selling for. Go to dealers and see what they will give you (FYI- they will NEVER give you the KBB value, and they will be smaller values than private sales), and pit different dealers against each other. The best bang for your buck is to trade in a car and buy one from the same dealer. They are most likely to give you more money at that point.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    You will make the most money with a private sale, but it can take longer, so if you wanted to get it over with sooner, a dealership is the way to go. Look up KBB value, alone with car selling websites to see what similar cars are selling for. Go to dealers and see what they will give you (FYI- they will NEVER give you the KBB value, and they will be smaller values than private sales), and pit different dealers against each other. The best bang for your buck is to trade in a car and buy one from the same dealer. They are most likely to give you more money at that point.
    Yes, but you will likely be charged higher for the car you are buying, or charged more for financing.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Moderator

We've never traded in a car that we owed on.

Before we went to the dealership, we checked out KBB, Black Book, and Nada, to get a round about idea of how much the vehicle was worth. Then, we used that when we went to the dealership.
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Yes, but you will likely be charged higher for the car you are buying, or charged more for financing.
    It depends if you also shop around between dealerships and use their offers as leverage. We were able to drive a brand new car down from 36 to 30 with 0% APR for 48 months. And the car is generally selling for 35 at dealers, with the avg actually selling price of 32.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    It depends if you also shop around between dealerships and use their offers as leverage. We were able to drive a brand new car down from 36 to 30 with 0% APR for 48 months. And the car is generally selling for 35 at dealers, with the avg actually selling price of 32.
    Then I am flying you down here the next time I am going to buy a car. Though I will never buy a new again. You can help me with the used cars.
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    We just used car max. It was a great and easy experience! Walked in one night got a quote, came back the next day gave them the car, and got a check. They gave us $300 more then the dealership.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Well, I think we're going to try a few more "fixes" and then go from there. I don't want to be upside down on the loan and be forced to roll it into another loan.