Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Going from two incomes to one...follow up

1. Senior Member

Going from two incomes to one...follow up

Advertisements
    So this is a follow up thread to this one:
    Going from two incomes to one?

So after talking with my boss and my husband, we've come up with a game plan. I'm going Resource pool(PRN), I just have to work a minumum of 32 hrs per 4 weeks. I'll make more per hour but I'll work less hours. I think I'll start off working two shifts a week( full time is three shifts a week) and I'll see how our money does. I think we'll be pretty comfortable with that, so then I'll do two shifts one week, one shift next week, two shifts the next week etc etc. We are taking DD out of daycare and cutting out eating out. Seriously, we spend upwords of $500 a month on eating out. Its ridiculous. That doesnt even count the lunches that my husband buys at work and the dinners I buy when I'm at work. So I'll be doing major meal planning.

Home repairs have been taken care of. We are just are NOT handy people. The fixes that need/needed to be done were very simple fixes but we had no idea how to do it. My moms handy man(and family friend) came out and fixed our window in about 20 minutes for free. He's replacing some siding that came off our chimney, which apparently isn't a big deal. I had visions of having to replace the siding on the whole house just because a couple sheets were missing. Really, I'm so ignorant when it comes to fixing house stuff, it's comical. And our garage door and the opener was busted so the handy man sent over a garage door guy who fixed the door in about twenty minutes. Didn't charge us anything, wouldn't even take gas money. DH and I are just NOT savy when it comes to fixing stuff.

I'm certain that with not having to pay for daycare and not eating out every other day we will be fine. We did a break down of our budget now and what our budget would be on my reduced hours and it evens out. Thank goodness! We got a BJ's membership to buy some of our bulk items. Meat, drinks, dog food, cat food, etc.

Something had to give. When I'm working, I'm barely sleeping so that I can still spend time with my family every day. This past Sunday I got home from work, napped for two hours and then woke up to hang with DH and DD. I was super light headed and I felt like I was having heart palpitations. Our rite aid has one of those BP machines so we stopped in there and I checked it. It was pretty darn low. I know its my body telling me that I've got to slow down. So I really feel we've made the right decision.

I am SO friggen excited for this big change. I know sometimes it will be hard. Sometimes the money will be tight. But I'm excited to have the opportunity to just concentrate on being a mommy and a wife. My husband really is the best. This would NOT be possible if it were not for him being so supportive. He's seen how sad and overyly tired I've been and he just couldn't let it continue.

Anyhoo, if theres anything else you guys can think of that I haven't covered please thow em at me. We've got some savings set aside for emergency vet bills and such. What else should I be thinking of? Thanks guys!
  2. Senior Member
    Oh, and just to add, because it might be confusing as you read the two threads. In the first thread, we were considering me changing my work status several months from now. But we've decided to go ahead and have me go PRN now. Sorry, didn't want to confuse anyone.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Yay I'm glad you have a plan!

Eating out is one of those things that I think is really common for people to spend a lot on and not realize it. It's definitely that way for us too.

Also don't feel bad about having someone else to do home repairs! It's awesome ya'll found someone to help with no charge, but sometimes you have to pay for work to be done and there's nothing wrong with it. They're professionals for a reason. We tried to cheap out on a toilet repair earlier this year, and it turned what would've been a $100 plumbing bill into an almost $1000 bill. Never again ... if we have any plumbing needs we are always going to be calling a professional even if DH thinks he knows how to fix it.
  4. Senior Member
    LOL that's how the garage door and opener got broken. The opener was broken to begin with but then when he tried to fix it, he ended up breaking to entire door. Luckily it just came off the tracks a little and a metal piece got a little bent. So the guy was able to fix it pretty easily. We have deninately learned our lesson. Don't try to fix stuff we know nothing about. Leave it to the professionals.
  5. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    Yay I'm glad you have a plan!

Eating out is one of those things that I think is really common for people to spend a lot on and not realize it. It's definitely that way for us too.

Also don't feel bad about having someone else to do home repairs! It's awesome ya'll found someone to help with no charge, but sometimes you have to pay for work to be done and there's nothing wrong with it. They're professionals for a reason. We tried to cheap out on a toilet repair earlier this year, and it turned what would've been a $100 plumbing bill into an almost $1000 bill. Never again ... if we have any plumbing needs we are always going to be calling a professional even if DH thinks he knows how to fix it.
    Totally agreeing on this front. LOL
  6. Senior Member
    If people are truly honest with themselves, most will find that at least 1/3, if not more, of they money they spend is unnecessary. If you really want to pare down, check out the Mr. Money Mustache blog, and start reading from the beginning.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If people are truly honest with themselves, most will find that at least 1/3, if not more, of they money they spend is unnecessary. If you really want to pare down, check out the Mr. Money Mustache blog, and start reading from the beginning.
    with this so much.

I seriously thought I had it covered when it comes to savings and not spending on 'unnecessary things'. I don't really go out shopping that much or I only buy things on sale, but these little purchases, $2 snacks on the way home here and there adds up! I used this "Expensify" app for 3 months and logged down every single thing I purchased. Then, I broke it down even more on a spreadsheet. It really showed me how much my little spendings here and there are actually eating up so much more than I thought.

I just checked out that MMM blog. I'm hooked!

Good stuff on figuring out details with your budgeting!
    Last edited by aliwalas; 12-05-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: checked out the blog