Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thermostat wars

1. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you

Thermostat wars

Advertisements
    So it's started to get "cold." Now, I live at the beach so by cold, I mean 50 degrees with winds and maybe a little colder at night...not really all that bad. The issue is that I live with a roommate, which is something I haven't done for a while, and she keeps putting the thermostat up to 78* and "constant heat." I was sweating last night. I came home a little while ago and the apartment was like a sauna.

We split all utilities and rent 50/50, but I know that with her constantly turning the heat up and leaving it for hours, the bill will be sky high and that really bothers me. Now, I recognize that I do things to save money that other people would consider inconvenient and/or living uncomfortably. I basically never shower at home (always at the gym since I'm there every day anyway), don't use the dishwasher or dryer (I hang dry all my clothes or DB lets me do it at his place), and turn off the lights if I'm not in the room/leave for more than a few minutes. I was just raised to be extremely energy conscious. I don't expect her to do these things but utilities that we both use (like the thermostat) we need to agree on. I'd personally like to leave it at 70* max but I know if I lived by myself again I'd just leave it off all winter

Anyway - the point of this rant is to ask where you all typically set your thermostat at during the winter, especially those of you who are trying to save money on their bill like me?

Thanks!

ETA I promise I am not an extreme cheapskate even though I sound like one
  2. No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    No longer seeing where it goes, I'm in the driver's seat.
    Blog Entries
    Ours is around 70 and if that's not enough then we put an extra layer on. I get cold easily and don't want to think about how much it would be to keep me warm.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DH and I have it set at 65. DH hates the cold and I hate the heat so we compromise each season on where we set the heat / AC . Personally when DH is gone during the winter our heat is on maybe 5 times during the whole season. I would DIE at 78 .
  4. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaA View Post
    Ours is around 70 and if that's not enough then we put an extra layer on. I get cold easily and don't want to think about how much it would be to keep me warm.
    That seems like the most logical idea!

Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    DH and I have it set at 65. DH hates the cold and I hate the heat so we compromise each season on where we set the heat / AC . Personally when DH is gone during the winter our heat is on maybe 5 times during the whole season. I would DIE at 78 .
    Girl, you have no idea.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    DH and I live on the second floor, so some of our heat comes from below us. With that situation in mind, we don't turn our heat on until it is absolutely necessary and even then, it is on low all winter long. We turned on our heat after Christmas time last year. And yes, we live in Chicago Suburbs where the temp got as low as -45 last year.

We typically have our thermostat between 68-72, mostly around 70. We are semi-energy conscious and have our heat and/or A/C set on energy saver at all times.

I wear long sleeves and fuzzy socks all the time just so we can pay less in utilities.
    Last edited by Just_Special; 11-18-2014 at 04:56 PM. Reason: cannot type

6. Senior Member
    I am super cheap about this, and DH and I are really hoping, for convenience purposes, not to have to refill our heating oil until we move out, so we are really trying to conserve.

We have radiators so we can't set a specific temp, but I am pretty sure we are in the low 50s inside, if not cooler.

I wear thick socks, fleece jammies, have a hot water bottle in my lap, and two blankets over my legs.

When he had a thermostat in CA, I kept it at about 65, and in Japan we had separate units in each room. We most didn't turn them on, and just put an extra blanket on the next (and had a heated mattress pad, though I only used my side to pre warm and then turned it off) and used a space heater for the area around the sofa.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Special View Post
    DH and I live on the second floor, so some of our heat comes from below us. With that situation in mind, we don't turn our heat on until it is absolutely necessary and even then, it is on low all winter long. We turned on our heat after Christmas time last year. And yes, we live in Chicago Suburbs where the temp got as low as -45 last year.

We typically have our thermostat between 68-72, mostly around 70. We are semi-energy conscious and have our heat and/or A/C set on energy saver at all times.

I wear long sleeves and fuzzy socks all the time just so we can pay less in utilities.
    I'm all for fuzzy socks and extra sweaters! DB got me an electric foot warmer because he knows how cheap I am with heating We live on the 3rd floor so we get a LOT of heat from below as well. I am glad I'm not the only one who keeps the heat off until I absolutely need it.

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I am super cheap about this, and DH and I are really hoping, for convenience purposes, not to have to refill our heating oil until we move out, so we are really trying to conserve.

We have radiators so we can't set a specific temp, but I am pretty sure we are in the low 50s inside, if not cooler.

I wear thick socks, fleece jammies, have a hot water bottle in my lap, and two blankets over my legs.

When he had a thermostat in CA, I kept it at about 65, and in Japan we had separate units in each room. We most didn't turn them on, and just put an extra blanket on the next (and had a heated mattress pad, though I only used my side to pre warm and then turned it off) and used a space heater for the area around the sofa.
    heated blankets + pads =
  8. Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    Need a shoulder? My PM box is always open!
    We usually keep ours at 67 - 68 degrees. I'm extremely heat sensitive (DH says I am the only woman he knows that uses the AC in the middle of winter.) A home at 78 degrees would make me seriously ill - no joke.

Is there an easy way to have a temperature conversation with her?
  9. we were all rooting for you
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    We usually keep ours at 67 - 68 degrees. I'm extremely heat sensitive (DH says I am the only woman he knows that uses the AC in the middle of winter.) A home at 78 degrees would make me seriously ill - no joke.

Is there an easy way to have a temperature conversation with her?
    We had the same kind of discussion over the summer when we first moved in together. She set the thermostat way too low at about 65! The unfortunate part was that after we'd had the conversations, she'd still turn the temperature lower than what we'd agreed upon. The good news is that she is open and doesn't mind discussions about the bill, so hopefully she's pretty easy going about this. 78 just isn't fair.
  10. Senior Member
    Be happy you don't live with me girly, I just turned it up to 75 and I'm wearing sweatpants and a hoodie and I'm under the covers.. Still cold
    If you're too proud to follow rivers, how are you ever gonna find the sea?
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast