Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Feeling lost

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Feeling lost

Advertisements
    We are preparing for my dh deployment and before he leaves I want to set up a budget for the home but he will not help me at all. I don't want to make all these decisions myself while he is still here. Also when I try to do a rough draft for him to look over I feel so overwhelmed. Creating a budget in my head seems so easy but when it comes to writing it down and our family acting on it, it feel impossible any tips or advise? Even money saving tips would help
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Do you think he would be more open to doing it if someone else went through it with ya'll? Budgeting can be intimidating for a lot of people ... he may not be wanting to take on those decisions either. A third party with financial expertise can be a really great resource. Depending on your bank, you may have access to free financial planning too. Some banks even have planners who are specially trained to deal with deployment situations/budgets. They will also have advice for how to help each family member get on board with the budget and adjust their spending habits.
  3. Senior Member
    I'm a month late but USAA has really helpful financial advisors. When we called to cancel car insurance, it was cancelled then we were transferred to a helpful lady who asked about our goals, expenses, etc and how we plan to budget--if we needed any advise on budgeting.

I've also gotten into couponing. I'm not an extreme couponer. Anything helps! I follow this lady who posts stuff all the time about great deals and where I could go to get almost free items with the use of coupons!

Before I buy anything, I look at reviews and compare prices. I'm sure everyone does this, but some people forget. Good luck! DH is horrible at budgeting so he lets me decide for us.
  4. Senior Member
    The alternative I can think of for you to not feel like you're doing all the decision-making is that you provide the option and then let him decide.

For example, if you want to change your cable provider, tell him Company A has this and that and Company B has this and that. Don't even give him your preferred company, so he will have to look through it and decide from himself. If he still can't, then it just may be his personality, not the type to make the decisions.

When it comes to enforcing the budget, perhaps if you show your DH the budget sheet and he sees how much money you guys actually have in the bank, then he can be more helpful with keeping up with the budget.

There's a thread here about their style of budgeting spreadsheets and I saw this post by Skylah, http://www.thirtyhandmadedays.com/wp...30daysblog.pdf ...pretty helpful stuff.
  5. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by veggiemomma View Post
    We are preparing for my dh deployment and before he leaves I want to set up a budget for the home but he will not help me at all. I don't want to make all these decisions myself while he is still here. Also when I try to do a rough draft for him to look over I feel so overwhelmed. Creating a budget in my head seems so easy but when it comes to writing it down and our family acting on it, it feel impossible any tips or advise? Even money saving tips would help
    I feel your pain, currently battling it out with my DF about his desire for a big truck and my non desire for a big truck payment, alllll while he is deployed- so really not the best situation
    Depending on how many financial obligations y'all have, budgeting will be easier with less (less bills, less the budget). I haven't lived on base (and won't until March), but I'm sure there are tons of free financial programs/offices/class available- don't be afraid to check them out. I've been on Military OneSource reading about financial advice for about an hour now lol.

While a deployment, there's more opportunity to save. Cut what you don't need and you can save a ton.

Things that have helped me so far:
    1. Avoid contracts whenever you can. They're bad news bears.
    2. Not sure how close you are to one, but Walmart price matches (you also don't need a physical ad from other store to price match- per their policy). Also, great added bonus- once you price match, you can use coupons on top of that. Did this while away a college and saved me ridiculous amounts of money. Also, don't feel awkward about it or let clerks hassle you! If Walmart lost money on price matching, there's no way they would make it a policy for their business!
    3. I shop at Sam's (my local bulk store-like costco, BJ's, etc.) for things I can't get for less per unit at Walmart.
    4. Don't get discouraged if you try to save a huge bunch at first, I promise with dedication, it gets easier every time! I'm the type that learns through experience and things make more sense the more I do them.
    5. Depending on where you live, you should look into something like Republic Wireless. I would LOVE to be able to get this, but unfortunately, they have less than great coverage in my targeted area, but definitely passing it on because of the amount of money you can save and all the things I've heard about it (also, no contracts!)
    6. Never. Pay. Full. Retail. (outside of food). Clothes and crafts are the only thing I buy new and that's never without a coupon or discount of some sort. Clearance is my first target lol. I've furnished my past apartment(and new soon to be future home) almost completely from yard sales, buy/sell websites, Goodwills, etc. I aim for at least 50% off every time.

Luckily your hubby is still home, so wish I discussed things in more detail while DF was home (I was a little caught up in wedding ideas and didn't think of it much!) Hope things get better and hope I was able to help at least some!