Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Yet another TSP/investment question

1. Junior Member

Yet another TSP/investment question

Advertisements
    So we decided to go the Spouse ROTH IRA route with Vanguard, and pile the rest into my husbands ROTH TSP. We're going to choose a lifecycle fund for Vanguard but we are trying to decide what to do with the TSP. We are not sure if we should choose an L fund (would be L2050) or distribute individual funds ourselves - something along the lines of 60-80% C funds, 10-20% S funds, and 10-20% I funds .... just starting out and around 35 years until retirement.

Any financial peeps here could give me some advice? I know there are some out there

Thanks!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. Banned
    Banned
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 09-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.
  3. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

If you have time to rebalance your portfolio and feel comfortable with following the market then by all means go for the more active management of distributing the contributions between the funds yourself.

If you don't have the time to monitor the market and don't feel comfortable rebalancing your funds then go for the target date funds, the L funds. Personally, I am a big fan of target date funds because it still allows you exposure to different sectors of the market without having to worry about keeping constant tabs on your portfolio.
  4. Junior Member
    Thanks for the advice So I changed the amount he currently has to 90% L funds and 10% C funds .. changed the allocation to 100% L2050. We'll see how it goes ... I feel I may start to enjoy this whole investing thing so I might start rebalancing things myself, but for now, it's best to be in L.

So glad we've made the change from G funds. Checked this morning and the amount we have has made more in 1 day with the new mix than nearly 2 years with the G!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods