Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Talk To Me About 592 Plans!

1. Senior Member

Talk To Me About 592 Plans!

Advertisements
    What do I need to know?

With my student loans now gone DH and I have been looking at what to put our extra money towards. We had been putting money away to pay the loans off so now we just have a big chunk of change chillin' that we need to do something with. From what I have been reading we could open 529 plans with us as the beneficiaries and then once we have kids we could switch them over to the beneficiary. I figure why not get a head start on our kid's college funds.

Has anyone done this? Anyone have any experience with the plans? Any advice?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Are you planning on having children and are you maxing out both your Roth/standard IRAs?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Are you planning on having children and are you maxing out both your Roth/standard IRAs?
    DH's Roth is maxed out and we will have the money to max out my Roth IRA once I start working next month. We just can't contribute to it right now since I have no income. We are planning to have kids soon which is why I figured we might as well start saving.

It looks like a lot of people like Utah's 529 since they have pretty low fees. NC's would be tax deductible but we will lose that deduction in 3 years due to the income requirements. So I am thinking it probably is not worth doing NC's. There are just so many options!
  4. Senior Member
    We have WV's 529. It was the one DH's financial guy recommended 7 years ago, but I can't remember the details of why.
  5. Senior Member

A big chunk of my college was paid for with a 529. The nice thing about them (in my case at least) is (unlike many scholarships) in addition to tuition, you can use it for books, food, housing - anything school related