Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Groceries

1. my kitchen is for dancing
    my kitchen is for dancing

Groceries

Advertisements
    IDK i feel like we are spending a lot on groceries. Maybe it is because I never spend that much in Germany but we are just 2 ppl and we pay every 2 weeks between $120 to $150. We try to eat healthy and buy a lot of veggies. Also our beef must be grass fed.

Im just wondering how much you guys spend.
    How I can save some money.

Or is it normal and I just have to get used to it lol
  2. Senior Member
    I think that's normal. It's kind of hard to save money buying fresh food, coupons tend to only be for packaged/processed things.
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Sounds about right DH and I spend around 350-400 a month just for the 2 of us on groceries.
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

That's pretty normal. You could possibly lower how much you spend by buying produce at Farmer's Markets or in Bulk.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    For fresh veggies and organic meat, that sounds about right.

You can save some by using coupons and maybe buying in bulk (if you can). Sometimes if you buy large amounts of meat it can be cheaper, but I'm not sure if the german economy does that.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. my kitchen is for dancing
    at least now I know that is normal.
    Coupons I tried and Heisenberg said it is mostly not for fresh food. sometimes I use some when I buy cans or eggs.
    I never thought about buying in bulk. thats maybe an option too.

What and how is costo? Im sorry for so many questions but thats all new and I try to find the best way for us. A
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoraAnna View Post
    at least now I know that is normal.
    Coupons I tried and Heisenberg said it is mostly not for fresh food. sometimes I use some when I buy cans or eggs.
    I never thought about buying in bulk. thats maybe an option too.

What and how is costo? Im sorry for so many questions but thats all new and I try to find the best way for us. A
    Costco is a bulk store, like you pay for a membership every year but you basically get the money back in savings. There's no costco here but we do have a Sams membership, they never have any meat or produce that we want but we buy a bunch of other stuff there. We buy paper towels, toilet paper, a lot of toiletries (toothpaste, body wash, medicine, etc), big ass bags of frozen fruit for my smoothies, snack foods, all kinds of stuff is a lot cheaper there. We haven't bought meat there because it's never looked that great when we go but I think we definitely save a lot of money. Like we haven't had to buy toilet paper since December.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I just realized I misread your post. I thought you said you were in Germany currently.

There is a local place where you can buy organic/grass fed meat in bulk, meaning they will stock you up for a few months at a time. I have found this is more economical and cheaper than going to Trader Joes, Whole Foods or other organic places. It is about what you'd pay if you drove out to one of the farms yourself.

There are a TON of farmer's markets in this area, probably one a week if you don't mind driving to each one. You can get super cheap fruits and veggies there.

You can also consider doing container gardening to grow your own veggies.

I have found the commissary around here isn't any cheaper than the local stores. Until we found this other meat place, I would almost always buy our meat at Sams, its much cheaper.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. my kitchen is for dancing
    is sams or costco better? we have both lol
    Thanks for explaining
    Ohh toilet paper I was shocked the first time we bought it.. I placed it back on the shelf DH was looking at me like WTF
    Hell 16 bucks for toilet paper I never paid more than 3,99Euro for 16 rolls
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by NoraAnna View Post
    is sams or costco better? we have both lol
    Thanks for explaining
    Ohh toilet paper I was shocked the first time we bought it.. I placed it back on the shelf DH was looking at me like WTF
    Hell 16 bucks for toilet paper I never paid more than 3,99Euro for 16 rolls
    totally personal preference as to which is better.
    Sams, BJs, Costco they are literally all the same.
    Each have a few things that you can't get at the other, but overall they are all pretty much the same.
    We have Sams, have had it for years. I've been to Costco and was meh, saw no reason to change it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast