Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Credit Score Stress!

1. Senior Member

Credit Score Stress!

Advertisements
    As my wedding date approaches I am becoming more and more stressed with my credit score. I want to have better credit so that we can purchase things together. I am so confused about getting housing with having one spouse's credit score dented. (Any information on this for on base housing?)

Josh has a seemingly perfect score. He made mistakes when he was younger, but now has virtually no debt and he pays everything off in a timely manner.

My on the other hand. I am still young (21), and I am just starting to see the huge importance of paying things off. I have bills on my credit score that I didn't even know I actually had. Plus, I messed up with my student loans, but I am working hard to get those paid off.

I am majorly stressing about my credit score lately.

Any tips on how to start increasing it?

I looked at a secured credit card, and I am really considering trying to get one of those as well.
  2. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    I'm young as well and have had a strong credit score throughout college, as I had loans (never missed a payment) and a credit card (which I paid off, in full, every month), as well as a solid rent history and bill payment history. I use a web site called Credit Sesame to check my score and they do offer little tips here and there to increase your score.

My biggest piece of advice would be to continue to pay your loan on time each month. Same with a credit card - open an account, and pay each month. I use my credit card for gas (I get a % of cash back with gas/groceries/etc) and pay everything off in full each billing cycle. This way I get a few dollars back, too.

Remember that delinquencies stay on your credit history for 7 years, even if you close an account.
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I would start with looking at the delinquencies on your credit report. You said you didn't even know you had some of the bills - start with those and make sure that those companies are actually creditors. Sometimes companies make mistakes and put things on your credit report that they shouldn't.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    I would start with looking at the delinquencies on your credit report. You said you didn't even know you had some of the bills - start with those and make sure that those companies are actually creditors. Sometimes companies make mistakes and put things on your credit report that they shouldn't.
    This. We've been disputing something on DH's credit report for years even though the company has no record of the debt so it happens.
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks.

I am signing up for Credit Sesame right now. I have never heard of the site before, what an awesome tool! Does that pull from all three Credit Burueas? (Not sure the correct spelling right now).

I am going to continue paying all my bills. I can't help but fell so stupid that I let it get so out of hand because I just wasn't even thinking about it.
  6. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Also consider contacting your financial institution and seeing if they offer advice. Some banks will charge you for that, so if so might want to forget it. But depending on your bank, you can talk with someone who will help you go through your credit and give you a personalized, step by step plan to rebuilding it.
  7. Senior Member
    With base housing, there is no credit check or anything like that.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    That is great! Thanks!