Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First time filing jointly, and lots of state return confusion

1. Senior Member

First time filing jointly, and lots of state return confusion

Advertisements
    Ok, so DH and I are trying to file taxes and we've spent a total of about 8 hours on this crap so far, and I'm so over it. Basically, we got married in June, so we're filing jointly. His HOR is MO, and we live and own a home in CO. Additionally, we are both students (he's a MECEP and I'm going to grad school).

MO has some pretty sweet deals for military. Basically, he gets all his state taxes refunded to him. But, it appears to be confusing the hell out of our tax software, because we both reside in CO and I made money here. I know there's that Spouse's something something act that lets some spouses file in the same state as their active duty spouse's HOR, but I never lived in MO and from our reading of the law, I don't qualify.

So what the heck do I do? I was under the impression that we need to file both a CO and a MO return, but if we fill out the MO return first, it comes up asking me to fill out a non-resident CO form, and if we do the CO one first, it screws up the MO return. We've called TurboTax twice already, and we're hoping we'll get a call back from someone more helpful soon. Our next plan is to call both the MO and CO Departments of Revenue and try to get them to give us some answers, but I was hoping maybe someone here had an idea too.
  2. Senior Member
    I have done state returns when just one of us needs to file before. When he worked in DC we had to file DC and MD returns. I feel like it didn't matter that I was on it because I didn't have income in that state anyway does that make sense? Basically the DC return was just DH's w2 info because I didn't get any W2s from DC and the MD one was both of ours. So I assume you would file the CO return with your info and the MO one with your DH's. But I am kind of tax illiterate so get other opinions lol
    Maybe you can just do the state returns completely separate after you do your federal?
  3. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by *Meg* View Post
    I have done state returns when just one of us needs to file before. When he worked in DC we had to file DC and MD returns. I feel like it didn't matter that I was on it because I didn't have income in that state anyway does that make sense? Basically the DC return was just DH's w2 info because I didn't get any W2s from DC and the MD one was both of ours. So I assume you would file the CO return with your info and the MO one with your DH's. But I am kind of tax illiterate so get other opinions lol
    Maybe you can just do the state returns completely separate after you do your federal?
    We file a DE state with just my info and then one woof NY with just DH's
  4. Banned
    Banned
    in order for the spouse to claim the members state of residency the spouse must have lived in the state with the member at some point in the members career.

since you have not you will file for CO not MO, because you own a home in CO you will file both a CO and a MO state return.

it is better to file separately with each state NOT using the federal return soft ware.

this is one reason we pay an expert to do our taxes, we too have to file in 2 different states, FL and GA
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    in order for the spouse to claim the members state of residency the spouse must have lived in the state with the member at some point in the members career.

since you have not you will file for CO not MO, because you own a home in CO you will file both a CO and a MO state return.

it is better to file separately with each state NOT using the federal return soft ware.

this is one reason we pay an expert to do our taxes, we too have to file in 2 different states, FL and GA
    Ahhh, ok. So we can file married filing jointly for federal, and then married filing separately for MO and CO?
  6. Banned
    Banned
    we file Married filing joint for state for both GA and for FL.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I am not sure about CO, but in VA.. when I did file, I filed married filing joint as a nonresident (before MSRRA came into effect) and I did not use his income because none of his income was VA taxable. We own our home here, so I was able to still file VA taxes using just my income and not his, as a married file joint non resident.

Since you are not a MO resident, you don't have to pay MO taxes. I would see about filing individual returns married file separate for each state, and then married file joint for each state using only the applicable income.

Your income is for CO, not MO.. his income is for MO, not CO.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I am not sure about CO, but in VA.. when I did file, I filed married filing joint as a nonresident (before MSRRA came into effect) and I did not use his income because none of his income was VA taxable. We own our home here, so I was able to still file VA taxes using just my income and not his, as a married file joint non resident.

Since you are not a MO resident, you don't have to pay MO taxes. I would see about filing individual returns married file separate for each state, and then married file joint for each state using only the applicable income.

Your income is for CO, not MO.. his income is for MO, not CO.

ETA.. eons ago when we were stationed in CO.. we owned a home, and I had to file CO state taxes. I did not have to include his income on it. It was just my income. I did file state separate from federal, I didn't use turbo tax, just used CO state website.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't