Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: State tax question

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

State tax question

Advertisements

I was a CA resident for all of 2013 but DH became a CA resident part-way through the year. We cannot file our state tax return jointly, right? It says online we have to use different forms and when I try to do it in Turbo Tax it keeps erroring
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    does he owe taxes for another state?

I'm not sure about cali, but here in VA, you can file jointly even if the other doesn't have to pay the state tax.
    If he doesn't owe taxes in another state, the complication could be trying to figure out which part of his income is CA state taxable.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    does he owe taxes for another state?

I'm not sure about cali, but here in VA, you can file jointly even if the other doesn't have to pay the state tax.
    If he doesn't owe taxes in another state, the complication could be trying to figure out which part of his income is CA state taxable.
    He shouldn't. His military income doesn't pay state tax under arizona law (his state of residence before california) so he only owes California taxes based on his new job. I think I may just have to do it on paper, Turbotax kept asking questions about where he was stationed and tried to say that I owe AZ tax even though I wasn't a resident of AZ at all!!??
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    He shouldn't. His military income doesn't pay state tax under arizona law (his state of residence before california) so he only owes California taxes based on his new job. I think I may just have to do it on paper, Turbotax kept asking questions about where he was stationed and tried to say that I owe AZ tax even though I wasn't a resident of AZ at all!!??

hmmm turbo tax usually isn't that complicated. however, I never filed my state thru TTax, only federal. I went to our state website and filed for free (TTax charged). Maybe try that. just do federal for TTax and go to CA website to do state.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Senior Member
    We are going to have the same issue this year except with my husband had his state of residence in Texas (also no state tax),,,and this is one of the reasons we will gladly pay someone to do our taxes
  6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post

I was a CA resident for all of 2013 but DH became a CA resident part-way through the year. We cannot file our state tax return jointly, right? It says online we have to use different forms and when I try to do it in Turbo Tax it keeps erroring
    When we moved in the middle of a year, we just picked one state to file with turbo tax, and we filed CA separately not through turbo tax, there was a space to say what dates you had lived in state for partial residences.