Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Credit Card

1. Senior Member

Best Credit Card

Advertisements
    I am currently in the market for a new credit card. Something that offers good rewards without an annual fee. I have a Bank of America card, but it only pays 1% back. Any suggestions?

I also thought about waiting until DF becomes DH and getting a Star card. Any experience with those?

Thanks!!!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    avoid the star card unless you absolutely have to. Its just a store card anyway.

If you have USAA, i recommend their rewards credit card. There is no annual fee, and their awards are pretty decent. I want to say about 10%...

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

I like my Capital One card for foreign travel (no conversion fee): VentureOne Miles Rewards Credit Card | Capital One

I also have the BOA card that gives me 1% cash back.

I am also interested to hear if anyone has a better rewards program
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    avoid the star card unless you absolutely have to. Its just a store card anyway.

If you have USAA, i recommend their rewards credit card. There is no annual fee, and their awards are pretty decent. I want to say about 10%...
    We have a Star card that we got back in '99 or 2000. When we did a budget class or something around the same time, we had been told that it is best to keep a general credit card as well as a store card in your name to help your credit. So that is what we have always done. We use the card once in a while just to keep it active & long standing. We've always been happy with their service, etc. When DH made E-7, he used the Star card for his uniforms since it was interest free & was automatic payment (if I remember correctly). It was a blessing then since we found out a week after our move to Japan that DH made Chief, so we were shorter on funds with the move, buying a vehicle, having to stock the house with groceries, etc. I think that was the last time we made a major purchase with it & that was in '09.

And we each have a USAA credit card as well like you mentioned.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Debra View Post
    We have a Star card that we got back in '99 or 2000. When we did a budget class or something around the same time, we had been told that it is best to keep a general credit card as well as a store card in your name to help your credit. So that is what we have always done. We use the card once in a while just to keep it active & long standing. We've always been happy with their service, etc. When DH made E-7, he used the Star card for his uniforms since it was interest free & was automatic payment (if I remember correctly). It was a blessing then since we found out a week after our move to Japan that DH made Chief, so we were shorter on funds with the move, buying a vehicle, having to stock the house with groceries, etc. I think that was the last time we made a major purchase with it & that was in '09.

And we each have a USAA credit card as well like you mentioned.
    Then you are the rare few with a Star card that it helped. It shows up as a line of credit on a credit report, vs a store card. While the interest rate is low, the effects of it are the same as a store card. Plus, with a Star card you have to pay it off when you ETS. No ifs, ands or buts. When you out-process for ETS they require you to pay it off, they won't sign it unless its paid in full.

It can be good for those who do not have any credit or bad credit, but for someone who already has credit and looking for new, *I* don't recommend it.. but that's just me.

I couldn't wait for the day we were able to pay off and close the Star card (old DPP card).. we had it for good 10-12 years and it just hurt our credit more than helped.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    I do know the BOA card has a new feature that you can ask for that gives you 3% on gas, 2% on groceries and 1% on everything else .pistachio.. I really want to find something that gives 2-3% on all purchases. Mystical Unicorn? Maybe lol

7. Senior Member
    The amazon card has GREAT rewards. You have to have really great credit to get it though, it's supposedly one of the hardest ones to get?? I really like our USAA cards too.
  8. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by smileygirl View Post
    I do know the BOA card has a new feature that you can ask for that gives you 3% on gas, 2% on groceries and 1% on everything else .pistachio.. I really want to find something that gives 2-3% on all purchases. Mystical Unicorn? Maybe lol

OH! I'm going to have to look into that! Thanks!
  9. Senior Member
    I love my PenFed Platinum Rewards Card. I get 5% cash back on gas, 3% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. It also has no annual fee.

The only thing is that in order to get it you have to have "excellent" credit (740 or higher) so not everyone qualifies.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BiggyBiggs View Post
    The amazon card has GREAT rewards. You have to have really great credit to get it though, it's supposedly one of the hardest ones to get?? I really like our USAA cards too.
    I love my amazon card! I get all kinds of free stuff from amazon.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast