Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Coupon..

1. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"

How to Coupon..

Advertisements
    This thread is about all there is to know about How to Coupon.

Now, I am by no means an expert, nor am I an extreme couponer. I am just going to share what it is I do to give us those extra savings per month.

Please, feel free to share what you've done, ask any questions, or anything else you feel is pertinent

Let me state where I get my coupons from:

1. Coupons from the Sunday paper. The Sunday paper will have anywhere from 1-3 inserts for coupons weekly. I currently pay $13 for a 6 months subscription just to the Sunday paper. Some may think this is a lot to spend, but with just the Sunday paper coupons I was able to save over $300 in groceries.

2. Coupons.com. I use this in addition to the Sunday paper because, well sometimes I want two coupons for a particular item, and there are also other coupons here that aren't in the Sunday paper.

3. Coupons from Target.com. Our Target doesn't have a large grocery section, however, I try to utilize this whenever I can. Target's policy is that you may use a Target coupon and a manufacturer coupon for the same item. So, if you have a 50 cent coupon for chocolate chips and a $1 target coupon for choc chips, well you've just saved $1.25 on a bag of choc chips (an example, not actual #s). So, I will peruse the coupons on Target and print out the ones I think I would use.

4. Organize coupons. Once I have gotten all the inserts and printed the coupons off the website, I then go into organizing them. I first organize by expiration month up to about 2 months out. If a coupon is going to expire within about 2 months then it gets clipped and put into its respective pile. If its more than 2 months out, I will not clip right away and save it for the next time, etc. Once I have gone through all my coupons and clipped what I need, I then place each month into its own folder (or holder). I then take the current month and sort by date. Once I have them sorted, I then take the coupons expiring within the next 2-3 weeks and use those as my base for creating my shopping 'list' or agenda.

There are a pluthora of other sites/places you can get them, but my time is limited, so these are the ones that will give me the most for limited amount of time I have to spend 'clipping' coupons.

Let me state how I get my greatest savings:

1. Peruse weekly ads, from all stores. We have about 6 different stores that sell groceries. I will go through the ads multiple times. First I do a skim to see if anything jumps out at me as a great deal (like 99 cent meat or something). After I do the quick scan, I then go through them all again, starting with my least favorite stores, to see how many sale items are either on my list or something i'd use general. Sometimes I will jot down hot items (like meat, produce, staples) on a notepad so I can easily compare to other stores. When I find the couple stores that have the most of what I would want/need, I then compare them against each other. I most often select the one or two stores that will give me the most for my dollar.

2. Compare weekly ads to coupons. Once I have selected the one or two stores that I want to go shopping at, I will compare their ads to the coupons I have ready to use (see step 4 above). I do this to maximize the discount. If pasta is on sale for $1 a box and I have a coupon that is 50 cents off, well i've just paid 50 cents for a $3 box of pasta (get my drift?). Every so often I will end up at two stores to get the most savings, but I don't always have time for this.

3. Buy what you need. This is a big thing, IMO. Often times people who coupon go crazy and buy anything and everything just because they have a coupon. This actually can hurt you. Unless its a savings to where you get it for free, it isn't worth it. Focus on using coupons for items you either need, or will use. Don't buy Rogaine just because you have a $10 off coupon. Don't feel bad for not using a coupon. They can be recycled or sent overseas for others to use.

That's about all I got. It can be overwhelming. My advice is to take babysteps. Start with one or two favorite stores, and go to their website and find their coupons and print out what you think you'd need.

Even if you save $10 on a grocery run, you've done good

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  2. Senior Member
    I said this in the other thread, but thanks for the coupon.com recommendation. It is fast and easy enough that I'll actually use it. In about 4 minutes, I found $8+ (and probably more than that as some I will buy in large multiples). I hate couponing because of the time and organization, but that's easy enough that it's something I'll actually use. Thanks!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    In addition to Target and manufacturer coupons, I use Cartwheel. That saves me an additional $5 or so when I shop there....which is always.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Combining sales and coupons is paramount for maximized savings. As well as combining sales, manufacture coupons, and store coupons. And adding in double or triple coupon day. I used to get the paper but now I just use the RedPlum that comes in the mail and print off sites like coupon.com. Once in awhile we'll get a paper so I can get P&G. Actually, right now I need to do that cause I need to get us some toothpaste.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I said this in the other thread, but thanks for the coupon.com recommendation. It is fast and easy enough that I'll actually use it. In about 4 minutes, I found $8+ (and probably more than that as some I will buy in large multiples). I hate couponing because of the time and organization, but that's easy enough that it's something I'll actually use. Thanks!
    Awesome! Any little bit helps, especially with health and beauty items. There are almost always shampoo, cosmetics, toilet paper coupons. Like I said, any amount of savings on things you'd normally buy is good, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jensscrnnm View Post
    In addition to Target and manufacturer coupons, I use Cartwheel. That saves me an additional $5 or so when I shop there....which is always.
    Totally forgot about cartwheel. I literally just signed up this weekend (knew nothing of it before then)... so yeah, totally on the cartwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    Combining sales and coupons is paramount for maximized savings. As well as combining sales, manufacture coupons, and store coupons. And adding in double or triple coupon day. I used to get the paper but now I just use the RedPlum that comes in the mail and print off sites like coupon.com. Once in awhile we'll get a paper so I can get P&G. Actually, right now I need to do that cause I need to get us some toothpaste.
    we don't get redplum in the mail. But the other insert is smartsource (Which we don't get in mail either). All of the stores here in my area double and triple coupon, only ones that don't are Walmart and Target. But yes, if you are in an area where double/triple couponing isn't standard, that's even more added savings.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    I love to use the Commissary Rewards app. I can tap the coupons I want and it loads it to my card. It's much easier than going in and doing it via the website. And, I can pull up the app and see which coupons I've got so I don't have to write them down.
  7. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    I mainly use coupons at Target, because there are so many ways to save there.

1) Getting a redcard. You save 5% on EVERYTHING.
    2) Using the cartwheel app on your smartphone - they have savings of 5-25% off items that are available in the cartwheel
    3) Using the mobile coupons on the Target app
    4) Using manufacturer coupons
    5) Using Target coupons (they print out as you check out)

...guess what? You can use all five methods. If you surprisingly have one in each category, you can use them as well.

Also, stores like Kohl's, JCPenny's and Children's Place allow you to scan the store's email coupon directly off your phone, no wasting ink!
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for posting this, Trish! I appreciate it! And I just printed off a bunch of coupons.com ones that we'll actually use.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBnJVB3 View Post
    You must teach me your ways when you get to WA!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    It can become addicting. I generally use Sunday as my day to go through all the coupons and ads and such.. and plan out my week(s). When you start seeing the savings, you likely will want to save more and more.

There are those who do it far better than me and save even more than I do. I have friends that get about 70% savings when they grocery shop.

10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    That's how I was in Japan. I was so addicted! I would head to the commissary & NMCRS days before shopping to dig through all of the coupons. I also had several people that sent me all of their expired ones. I was awesome in JP about it & had nice little stashes of so many things. Oh how I miss Japan!
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast