Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Best Part Time Jobs?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Best Part Time Jobs?

Advertisements
    Hi everyone!
    I'm fairly new here and recently engaged. My fiancé is in the Air Force and was just cut orders for Osan AB in Korea, unaccompanied for one year. Figures that he's been in 14 years and only been sent to places where he could take dependants, but didn't have any. We get engaged and two weeks later, surprise!!!

We're going to make the best of it and focus really hard on paying off debt while he is gone. He should be able to live on the cheap over there and BAH and separation pay ought to cover the majority of the bills over here. I work full time but would love to pick up a side job while he is away, just to pick up a little extra cash to throw at those debts. How cool would it be for him to come home to no payments except the house!?

Does anybody have any suggestions for great part time jobs? Anywhere with a really nice perk or a great environment? I'd gladly work wherever, but I have enough time to plan a bit. I have heard that AT&T associates get free cell phone plans for example - that would be a nice perk!
  2. Senior Member
    Without knowing anything about your education or skillset, it's hard to say.

Substitute teaching is nice because the schedule is completely flexible. If you don't ever want to work on Tuesdays, you don't. And if you have plans for Thursday afternoon one week, you just don't accept a job that day.

So if your full time job has you off on any weekdays, you could sign up as a substitute teacher, with only those days listed for availability.

If you have a favorite retails store, you could also apply there so you could get a discount, but just make sure you don't end up spending more because you are around stuff you love all day!
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I'm fairly new here and recently engaged. My fiancé is in the Air Force and was just cut orders for Osan AB in Korea, unaccompanied for one year. Figures that he's been in 14 years and only been sent to places where he could take dependants, but didn't have any. We get engaged and two weeks later, surprise!!!

We're going to make the best of it and focus really hard on paying off debt while he is gone. He should be able to live on the cheap over there and BAH and separation pay ought to cover the majority of the bills over here. I work full time but would love to pick up a side job while he is away, just to pick up a little extra cash to throw at those debts. How cool would it be for him to come home to no payments except the house!?

Does anybody have any suggestions for great part time jobs? Anywhere with a really nice perk or a great environment? I'd gladly work wherever, but I have enough time to plan a bit. I have heard that AT&T associates get free cell phone plans for example - that would be a nice perk!
    So, you are planning to marry before he leaves?
  4. Senior Member
    In my experience with part-time jobs unless there is something you have skills in that you can find something part time in is that waiting tables will make you more money than most other of "unskilled" jobs like fast food, retail, etc. I waited tables for 6 years and made $15-$20 an hour in tips at a small family owned restaurant, and had friends who worked at more upscale places that made more than that. Sometimes it's hit or miss because you won't make that money everywhere but if you find a place that gets a lot of business it can definitely be better than a lot of other similar jobs.

And also bartending! Sometimes hard to get into unless you already have experience or start off waiting tables somewhere and work your way up, but I know people who bartend at sports bars who make $200-$300 in a night!

Obviously money is what all my suggestions are based on but that's all I can think of haha.
  5. Senior Member
    If you're at all interested in working from home message me.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I agree with substitute teaching, but a lot of school districts require you to have teaching credentials so that may be something to consider. Are you getting married before he leaves? Because you will only get BAH if you're married.
  7. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I think, as others have said it really depends on what you have skill-sets in and what kind of things you would like to do. I work part time from home as a Tupperware consultant. It's low stress and decent income and I can work my own schedule. For many people moving around a lot DS companies provide that flexibility but at the same time there are many that DS is not their forte.

For basic skill sets there are things like waitressing, baristas, and retail. Or you could look into
    More of a professional line of work if there is one you are qualified in.
  8. Senior Member
    With out knowing what you like and dislike, its hard to say, but I might try a fitness facility. They are open late and it seems like there isn't a lot required of you when you work there. I also have thought about tanning salons. Hope this helps!
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    So, you are planning to marry before he leaves?
    Yes, that's the one lucky thing - the AF gave him a full nine months notice, so we will be able to have our wedding this spring as planned.