Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Managing student loan debt

1. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket

Managing student loan debt

Advertisements
    How did you decide which repayment plan to use? Do you pay more than the minimum? Did you consolidate?

Mine are going to be due starting next month and I am still deciding how to approach it

DH wants to pay them off ASAP no matter how difficult it would make our ability to save for a new car for me/have extra spending money. But he has an irrational fear of debt. I feel like it's not worth it to pay them off SO quickly, especially since I could be investing the $$ in my IRA and getting a higher return on interest.

Any advice?
    WiggleWiggle~ is my Wifey
  2. Senior Member

I had leftover scholarship money when I graduated, so I paid of a big chunk that way, which put my minimum payment at $0 for the next five or so years. So now, I pay whatever is leftover after paying off my credit card each month (I strictly use credit and pay it off completely each month).

3. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

My school loan payments are more a month than our mortgage. I literally work to pay nothing but my school loans
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

4. Senior Member
    Is your IRA return greater than the interest on the loans? I just applied for the IBR repayment plan.

Visit My Fitness Like Page for fitness tips and inspiration and Visit My New Fitness Blog
  5. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    I did not consolidate. I try to pay $2000-$3000/mo. (I'm in school currently, so I have no minimum payment, but I did the same thing while my loans were in repayment, which was 4x-6x my minimums.)

If you feel you'll get better return in other investments, that may be the case. The majority of my debt is wrapped up in loans around 7.3% interest, which is pretty hefty.

My personal rule is to keep about $3000-$3500 in savings and everything else goes toward my loans. My car is fine and I'm $80K in debt. I just want to get rid of it asap.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  6. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    I had leftover scholarship money when I graduated, so I paid of a big chunk that way, which put my minimum payment at $0 for the next five or so years. So now, I pay whatever is leftover after paying off my credit card each month (I strictly use credit and pay it off completely each month).
    So if you pay off a big chunk at once there's no minimum payment for a while?
    Quote Originally Posted by *Bazinga* View Post

My school loan payments are more a month than our mortgage. I literally work to pay nothing but my school loans
    Did you pick an income based plan or anything? Or the public service forgiveness program? I wanted to do that but I really don't think it's going to take me more than 10 years to pay them off...
  7. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by KissTheRain View Post
    Is your IRA return greater than the interest on the loans? I just applied for the IBR repayment plan.
    My dad manages my IRA and I have about a 20% annual return. My student loans are at 6.8% currently. I don't think DH & I would qualify for IRB....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna Banana View Post
    I did not consolidate. I try to pay $2000-$3000/mo. (I'm in school currently, so I have no minimum payment, but I did the same thing while my loans were in repayment, which was 4x-6x my minimums.)

If you feel you'll get better return in other investments, that may be the case. The majority of my debt is wrapped up in loans around 7.3% interest, which is pretty hefty.

My personal rule is to keep about $3000-$3500 in savings and everything else goes toward my loans. My car is fine and I'm $80K in debt. I just want to get rid of it asap.
    DH & I have about 1 years worth of living expenses in savings. He wants to take enough out so that we have 6-8 months worth left, and pay down a huge chunk of my loans right away.
  8. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket_lizz View Post
    So if you pay off a big chunk at once there's no minimum payment for a while?
    Right. If your monthly payment is, say, $600, but you pay $1000 this month, it puts that extra $400 toward next month. So if you pay off a huge chunk, you won't have payments for however many months you paid off.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog

9. Team Rocket
    Team Rocket
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianna Banana View Post
    Right. If your monthly payment is, say, $600, but you pay $1000 this month, it puts that extra $400 toward next month. So if you pay off a huge chunk, you won't have payments for however many months you paid off.
    That's awesome! I thought it would just reduce your monthly payment accordingly, not actually delay it.
  10. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Have you been paying interest on your loans? If not, I would make a payment the day before consolidation (or a few days before, depending on when it processes/hits the account) to cover all accrued interest.

The thing I hate most is paying interest on my interest. Your interest is going to capitalize if not paid off, which was a very disappointing thing for me, as I had 7 years of interest at ~7.3% accrued.

Immediately after your loans mature, I'd make a lump sum payment, and then continue to pay as you are comfortable.

My 101 blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast