Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Divorce & financial changes

1. Senior Member

Hello Divorce & financial changes

Advertisements
    Now that I am getting divorced my spending habits need to change significantly.

I am only working part time next year because I'm finishing my BA in SW and my parents will be helping me with housing costs but I will still be paying for everything else myself.
    The catch is I'll only be making about $200 a week plus $110 for child support.
    I have downgraded cable/ got rid of DVR (need to keep services for internet for school)
    I'm planning on grocery shopping at Aldi's type stores to save money (we were spending apx 150 a week on groceries when I was with my husband).
    Eliminating eating out for the most part.
    Cancelling gym membership.

Any other financial tips?
    I would love to still be able to save some if at all possible.
    Mommy since 2009
  2. Banned
    Banned
    is that 110 per week for child support or 110 a month?

if your child is under 5 you will qualify for WIC--- get it!
  3. Senior Member
    WIll you be getting any spousal support?

Start now looking for a job. Campus jobs are great because they tend to be willing to work around class schedules.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    I will be applying for WIC soon. My youngest is 3.5. WIC will definitely help out. But yes, I understand having to change one's spending habits or standard of living. Assuming stbxh and I can agree to the financial terms of the separation agreement (namely alimony), I will have a few hundred less of usable funds (not tied up in debt -- car payments) than before the separation/divorce. That's more than half his income. However, there's four of us and one of him. His portion of the income will go much further for him in the long run.

I've cut back on the usual things. It does help. While I'd like to work, it's not possible to until we have a child care spot (it's a need-based waiting list). Any job I do get, the majority of it would go to child care, which is about $900-1000 a month. Between taxes, gas expenses and child care I wouldn't see much coming to me. I also start school again in the fall.
    Pax, Aeon
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

Yeah, that's my question too. I get $100 per week for a total of $400 per month.

What are you looking at for rent? Daycare costs? If you're a single mother and attending school, find out what financial assistance they have. Many colleges/universities offer a scholarship for single parents.

When exH left, I had the basic necessities and I didn't feel strapped until I moved to an area that had a higher cost of living. I was paying $850/month for rent and $900/mo for daycare. It was tough.

I lived in an area with awesome public transit so I took the bus which saved me not only on gas money but from having to pay for parking. I menu planned for every meal and was able to get things I needed for ODD and I that came in well under what I budgeted for. If your child is under five, check out the WIC program if you're not already making use of it.

I've been through this situation, though it's been 5+ years and I was working full-time. I shopped at the local grocery store because it had the best prices and it was very close to where I lived.

Will you be paying for utilities? If so, check to see if your utility company has budget billing; it gives you a "set" amount per month to pay.
  6. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Oh, and I totally took advantage of Aldi before we moved. I SO wish CA had Aldi. LOVE it.
    Pax, Aeon
  7. Senior Member
    cut your cell phone plan as much as possible, no texting or data just calls. Maybe get a prepaid phone if you can get out of the contract.

Look into your university for daycare if it's a big university. UT Austin had the CDC for students and professors and it was cheaper than surrounding daycares.

8. Senior Member
    As a last act, considering selling things you don't need. Obviously don't sell things to turn around and buy them again, but DVDs, video games, excess clothing, etc can give you some cushion money.
  9. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Since you still have internet, I would drop cable completely. WIC is great! If you have a land line, I would drop that too.

I'm not sure what you're driving, but I would get something that you only need liability insurance on until you're done with school.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

110 per week
    Mommy since 2009
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast