Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How much money

1. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas

How much money

Advertisements
    How much money did you have saved for pregnancy/baby stuff costs/misc etc...before you started trying to have a kid? MF and I are talking about the (far off) future and we are disagreeing on how much we should have saved before starting for a kid. We want to be comfortable and have enough money for all kid stuff. So- how much did you have? Was it enough?
  2. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    DD was an oops, so none.
    In terms of buying kid stuff, I wouldn't be too worried. People will pamper you and spoil you!
    I'd be more worried about saving for time out of work, whether you need to save vacation and sick time or whether you need to prepare for the loss of an income after pregnancy.
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.

life's a party, rock your body
  4. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateAndrea View Post
    DD was an oops, so none.
    In terms of buying kid stuff, I wouldn't be too worried. People will pamper you and spoil you!
    I'd be more worried about saving for time out of work, whether you need to save vacation and sick time or whether you need to prepare for the loss of an income after pregnancy.
    Maybe I should have been more clear, that is what I am asking. I am asking about ALL costs, so money for EVERYTHING from pregnant up until a few months post-birth.
  5. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjennyy View Post
    You caught me, I am secretly hoping to be preggo soon.

OH WAIT JK.
  6. By the power of Greyskull...
    By the power of Greyskull...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Maybe I should have been more clear, that is what I am asking. I am asking about ALL costs, so money for EVERYTHING from pregnant up until a few months post-birth.
    Sorry! I'm sleepy!
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateAndrea View Post
    Sorry! I'm sleepy!
    No problem! I re-read my OP and it wasnt as clear as it was in my mind
  8. Senior Member
    DH and I haven't had kids yet, but we have asked ourselves the same kind of question. We couldn't decide on the "perfect" number either because nothing we threw out there ever seemed like enough!

Some of my good friends who have had kids say that it really doesn't matter that much to try to save up a bunch of money. Once you have the kid, you'll find ways to work with what you have. Personally, I'd feel uncomfortable not having a little something saved up just in case, but I also feel like everything will fall into place just as it should whether I try to plan ahead or not.
  9. Senior Member

We didn't save a set amount. I honestly don't think it would be possible to set an amount and only buy what I intended. I am ALWAYS finding new things to buy her or new things come out and I want to get it for her.

We do have money saved but it wasnt set as this is only for baby things.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DH and I talk about this too. I don't think we'll ever feel like it's enough. We want to be able to live on DH's income only, in case something with my (hypothetical) pregnancy prevents me from working. We want a savings large enough to live off of (baby or no baby) in case something happens to DH's job, and I'd like that to last at least a year. We'd have to consider insurance costs for the pregnancy and after the birth. We already have a vehicle that would be reliable and safe but that was also something we talked about.

Really, we're there already. The only problem with our current situation is that we are renting an apartment and want to buy a house first. With a house, on top of the savings I mentioned before we would want enough tucked away for maintenance and surprise problems, another several grand.

Maybe that sounds crazy but it's what we would need to feel comfortable. Like I said, we've already come a long way with our savings goals so this doesn't seem unrealistic to me at all.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast