Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice?

1. Senior Member

Help Advice?

Advertisements
    I need a new laptop. Mine has bit the dust. I am a designer, so I use graphics programs such as the Adobe Creative Suite (All Premium versions.. Photoshop, etc). So, I need a stable computer so that I can keep up with Freelance work at home. I currently have a Macbook Pro, about 4 years old. Over the years, I've put a new harddrive in it, and early on, it needed a new harddrive cable.. I took it to Apple yesterday to figure out why it spins and spins, and they wiped it clean for me, but it's still not great, and there's NOTHING on there yet.

Needless to say.. I need a new computer. I can either:

Option 1- buy a new Macbook Pro outright
    I have enough in a savings I built up.. I use that savings to reach a certain amount, usually to match a student loan, then pay off the student loan in full- it lowers my monthly payments. I've done this 3 times in the last year, making me cut down my total amount due by 16k- so it's been a good system to say the least. If I buy it outright, I'd still have a bit left in that savings, but it wasn't planned to use it for a computer.

Option 2- get a credit card thru Apple (they partner with Barclaycard)..
    I've already been approved, but I haven't actually accepted the terms/card yet. I am aware that an account may already been open since I applied for it (I just wanted to see if I would get approved, and for how much). My payments would be about $100/month, which I could manage, but I don't want another monthly bill. My husband however thinks it would be a good way to build "free" credit, since I COULD pay it in full in the 18 month promo period (no interest), and build my credit up. Other than student loans, I only have one the credit card thru USAA, which I've always paid on time.. Never even have a minimum monthly payment, because I always pay more.

So- 1 or 2... ? I could use some nice credit points, as I don't have much since I'm fresh out of school with a boatload of loans, but, I could also just buy it, boom- done.

You're welcome.
  2. Senior Member
    If you don't really have any credit then I would get the credit card. I would get the credit card and make more than the monthly payments, probably double.

3. Senior Member
    I personally would buy it outright because I don't like the idea of creating more debt, and if anything does happen where you are unable to pay it off within the no interest period I bet the interest is a killer. Buying it on credit does have pros, but it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    If you don't really have any credit then I would get the credit card. I would get the credit card and make more than the monthly payments, probably double.
    Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I personally would buy it outright because I don't like the idea of creating more debt, and if anything does happen where you are unable to pay it off within the no interest period I bet the interest is a killer. Buying it on credit does have pros, but it wouldn't be worth the risk to me.
    Ahhh--- I'm half & half! Thanks for the advice. Obviously, there's 2 good solutions. I lean towards paying it outright. But, I COULD use good credit.

You're welcome.
  5. Senior Member
    I think there's other ways that you could also raise your credit score.

With something like a laptop, I would say, just buy it outright and be done with it.
  6. Senior Member
    I also agree that there are probably other ways to raise your credit. I would probably just buy it outright.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would buy it out right because I absolutely hate having payments. Dh and I also wanted to build our credit a little more so we got a credit card through amazon because it has good rewards and not a bad interest rate even though we always pay it off before anything is due.
  8. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I could see how it could go either way honestly, if it was me though I'd go with the card and pay it off sooner than the 18 month period. I don't really see a problem with using a credit card to get something if you have the savings to pay it in full incase of an emergency

9. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    If you buy it outright, will your savings be completely drained? I personally like to have some savings for "oh shit" type situations, more so than a computer breaking (ie-medical issue, not paid as much one month so need to pay bills) If that is the situation, I would by part on credit.

If you are looking to build up credit, I got a credit card when I was 18 to purchase books for school until my student loan money kicked in. That was all I used it for and paid it off each month. DH now has one to build up credit and he uses it once a month on dog food or something similar and pays it off every month.
  10. Senior Member
    I don't think you're going to screw yourself either way. Would you consider taking out a card, using it, then paying it all off immediately? I don't know if that is more trouble than it's worth, but I know having credit and not using it is good for your score
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast