Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Surviving Furlough -- share your tips, tricks and resources

1. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin

Surviving Furlough -- share your tips, tricks and resources

Advertisements
    So I know at least two of us are getting hit with furlough. There is concern, not only for finances but for security clearances as well. As long as you are working to handle your finances the best you can AND you keep your SSO apprised of major issues, your clearance should be safe.

For those who don't know there is an agency called FEEA which will provide you a (up to) $1000.00 interest free loan to help pay for necessities during this time. FEEA personnel are also getting hit with furlough so realize this process could take a while. Here's the link to their site:

FEEA Emergency No-Interest Loans - Federal Employee Education and Assistance Fund

If you have student loans, you may be able to get a deferrment until after this crisis.

Many banks are offering reduction in payments on loans, etc.

The best thing you can do is make a list of your creditors and contact each one and explain that you are being impacted by this situation. Ask if there is anything that they can do to assist you (let you skip a payment, reduce your payment, etc). IF they aren't willing to work with you the best course of action is to pay them something, anything you can afford. Include a letter explaining why you are paying less and what your plan is to make up the balance owed once the furlough is complete.

Hope this helps.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  2. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for this! I am sharing this with my husband right now. Hugs.
  3. Eye
    Master Caster
    Master Caster
    Blog Entries
    Oh and by the way, I don't have any tips OR tricks yet, I'll let ya know if I come up with some.
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Security Clearances

79. If I can't meet my financial obligations can it impact my security clearance?

Security clearance determinations are made based on a "whole person concept." Decisions regarding eligibility for access to classified information take into account factors that could cause a conflict of interest and place a person in the position of having to choose between his or her commitment to the United States, including the commitment to protect classified information, and any other compelling loyalty. When a person's life history shows evidence of unreliability or untrustworthiness, questions arise whether the person can be relied on and trusted to exercise the responsibility necessary for working in a secure environment where protecting classified information is paramount. Financial issues are one of many considerations taken into account when trying to determine whether a person is an acceptable security risk. As a category, financial problems are a leading reason a security clearance is revoked or not granted. A single financial misfortune may not in and of itself cause a loss of clearance. Rather, it would be a factor to be considered among many others:

• Does a person routinely live beyond their means?
    • Are they unable or unwilling to pay their debts?
    • Is there evidence of unexplained affluence?
    • Do they file annual Federal, state, or local income tax returns as required?
    • Is the financial difficulty a result of drug use or alcohol abuse?
    • Do they have a history of gambling or other risky financial behavior?
    • Was the financial misfortune an isolated incident or part of a pattern, or cycle of debt?
    • Has the individual acted responsibly? (i.e. notified and worked with creditors)
    • Has the individual been open and honest with his or her leadership about the issue or have they tried to cover it up?

80. What should I do to minimize the effects on my security clearance if and when I find myself unable to meet my financial obligations?

You should immediately contact your creditors and explain the situation. You should document each interaction with the creditor to the maximum extent possible. Many creditors are willing to work with their customers in such situations. For example, if the creditor agrees to lower payments for a period of time, you should ask for that agreement in writing or email. This will allow you to provide the adjudicator with the documented evidence that you were acting responsible given the situation. Additionally, you should keep your security office informed if you are experiencing or beginning to experience difficulty meeting your financial obligations.
    81. What kinds of financial hardships should I report to my security officer if they occur?

You should notify your security officer or supervisor in writing if, because of furlough, you: (1) face bankruptcy, (2) are unable to pay Federal, state or other taxes required by law or ordinance, (3) require credit counseling, (4) become delinquent on alimony or child support payments, (5) have a judgment entered against you for failure to meet financial obligations, (6) have liens placed against you, (7) become delinquent on a Federal debt, (8) have possessions or property repossessed, (9) default on loans, (10) have accounts turned over to a collection agency, (11) have credit accounts suspended, charged off, or cancelled for failure to pay as agreed, (12) are evicted for non-payment, (13) have wages garnished in order to satisfy a financial obligation, or (14) become over 120 days delinquent on a debt. Providing notification demonstrates responsibility which can mitigate any security concerns about the debts themselves.

Planned Furlough Frequently Asked Questions

~Tilly Therber
  5. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye View Post
    Oh and by the way, I don't have any tips OR tricks yet, I'll let ya know if I come up with some.
    No worries. I hope what I posted helps.

~Tilly Therber
  6. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

We are as well. J and his buddies are calling it, "Furlough Fishing Fridays".

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Blah this bites!

~Tilly Therber
  8. La vie boheme
    La vie boheme

Seriously. I am trying my best to look at the silver linings: He will be home to help me recover from knee surgery, we can go out of town and visit family, less money spent on gas (like THAT really equals out but whatever).

Let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:18
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    I know dh's, they are budgeting back, some are carpooling out from the neighboring towns (it can be a 10 to 20 mile drive one way to base), some are hunting and fishing to supplement their meal stores, they are growing their own foods, picking the fruit trees out in the valleys (most are in public areas and are nearly bare). I know a few wives of contractors and dod employees are cleaning vacation rentals and making food/crafts to sell. I saw two wives out in town on the side of the road selling fish that their SO's caught. We definitely have a smorgasbord at the end of the month, people making lumpia, soba noodles, kalau pig dishes, musubi, tamales and taquitas, etc. times are tough but I definitely see resilience and creativity in these people. Oh and car washing, detailing. a few of dh's guards were having them out their houses. good deal too, since there is just one car wash and that's a drive to get there from here.