Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for saving money?

1. Regular Member

Help Any tips for saving money?

Advertisements
    DH and I are wanting to save as much money as we can so that when he gets out of the military we can have money for a down payment on a house and so that we'll also have money for me to finish school. What's y'alls tips on saving money and actually sticking to it? We are doing pretty good so far on saving and hopefully we'll keep it up! I may even cut out a picture of a house and stick it on my fridge lol
  2. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Budgeting before the paycheck even hits our bank account and meal planning save us SO much money

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoAskAlice View Post
    Budgeting before the paycheck even hits our bank account and meal planning save us SO much money
    That's where SO much of our money goes: food! DH has quite the appetite lol. Just last week I went to the grocery store and had a cart full of food and the cashier was like "All this is just for you and your husband?" lol food can be very expensive. We are also trying to figure out a budget but it's kinda hard because my hours differ every week
  4. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by daisies777 View Post
    That's where SO much of our money goes: food! DH has quite the appetite lol. Just last week I went to the grocery store and had a cart full of food and the cashier was like "All this is just for you and your husband?" lol food can be very expensive. We are also trying to figure out a budget but it's kinda hard because my hours differ every week
    DH too, we never have left overs. Ever

We don't have a set budget really. I write down how much we're getting paid, deduct necessary bills, budget general amounts for things like groceries and gas, budget for savings, and then whatever's left over is "fun" money. It doesn't take very long and it's really casual, but it helps to be aware, to see where your money is going and have a general idea of how much you can spend on what.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoAskAlice View Post
    DH too, we never have left overs. Ever

We don't have a set budget really. I write down how much we're getting paid, deduct necessary bills, budget general amounts for things like groceries and gas, budget for savings, and then whatever's left over is "fun" money. It doesn't take very long and it's really casual, but it helps to be aware, to see where your money is going and have a general idea of how much you can spend on what.
    I just wrote down how much we make in a month and what our bills are for the month. And I was a little surprised we had that much money left over... We def blow our money on food too, so I'm gonna attempt to be a meal planner, so far, it sucks, lol.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If food is a big part of your budget, couponing, meal planning and planning your shopping trip might help. You'll also save a lot if you cut out eating out.
  7. Regular Member
    Do you guys know any good places to find coupons? That'd help a lot. I see these shows where people get like a bunch of groceries for basically free and I wanna be able to coupon like that lol
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Pay yourselves first. Look at a budget, and decide what you want to and can afford to put into savings, and as soon as your paycheck hits pay yourselves, then pay bills. Then the rest is disposable income. So say you have $250 left and need to buy groceries, you know that your budget for groceries for X amount of days is $250 and can plan accordingly. This works so much better for us than trying to save money as we go ... if the money isn't there we don't spend it! We like to keep it simple.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    limited eating out budget, and that includes coffee, sodas, etc. The snacks out are killer.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. who will drive my soul?
    who will drive my soul?
    Meal planning has saved us SO MUCH money this year. I plan out our meals for the entire month and grocery shop every other Friday (minus produce, which I get weekly), and include a night or 2 for date night/eating out on the plan. I only buy what we need for those dinners (plus stuff for breakfasts and lunches, of course), and don't stray from my menu/grocery list.

I honestly think it saves us at least $200-$300/month. Not to mention the gas we save by not driving to eat out!

ETA: I don't coupon because I just don't have the time, but when I wasn't working I did coupon, and that helped too!
    www.acoan.scentsy.us
    www.andreacoan.blogspot.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast