Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a credit card...maybe...

1. Senior Member

Getting a credit card...maybe...

Advertisements
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking about getting a credit card due to traveling a bit to see DB and because I feel like I'm mature enough to be responsible with it

So, where should I start? Did you get yours through a bank? Through the company itself? A business (home depot, target, etc)? I don't get them in the mail because I've successfully stayed off junkmail lists.

Also, does using a credit card and paying it off on time build credit? I have none.

Sorry for all the newbie questions! If you have any other input, I'd love to hear it My mom just says "you should get one"
  2. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    I have a couple. Two are store credit cards and one is from my bank. I would look through your bank first because they have "starter" credit cards for people who want to build credit

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    I have a couple. Two are store credit cards and one is from my bank. I would look through your bank first because they have "starter" credit cards for people who want to build credit
    good call. I'm thinking about switching banks, to the one DB uses. Do you know if you have to be a member for a certain amount of time or have certain accounts with them?
  4. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    good call. I'm thinking about switching banks, to the one DB uses. Do you know if you have to be a member for a certain amount of time or have certain accounts with them?
    I've been with my bank since I was 18 So I can't help you there! I remember when I first joined BOA, they tried to give me a credit card so I'm not sure if there's a time requirement to get one. I just have a checking and savings account with them before I got my credit card

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    I've been with my bank since I was 18 So I can't help you there! I remember when I first joined BOA, they tried to give me a credit card so I'm not sure if there's a time requirement to get one. I just have a checking and savings account with them before I got my credit card
    Gotcha. I've been with my current bank since I was fourteen I remembered that I am joint on DB's checking account so they may still see me as a member. I'm gonna talk to them about it!
  6. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    I don't have a credit card personally but I work at a credit union. Definitely go through your bank. I can't speak for all of them of course, but we offer different incentives throughout the year. Right now you get a $25 gift card for opening a credit card. And where I work you do not have to be a member for a certain amount of time. You can definitely build up your credit. Paying your minimum on time each month will definitely establish your credit but I always advise people to try to completely pay off the full balance each month and make 2+ payments monthly. Obviously, that's not always possible, but it is always better for your credit to pay smaller payments weekly instead of just your minimum in one lump sum each sum. You are also paying less interest that way.
  7. Regular Member
    My first one was a student one through my bank. Very small credit limit, and about a year after I got an Amazon one. I love that card, but it also has a small limit. I haven't bothered trying to increase them, I'm just fresh out of college and could get an increase with my credit, but I'll only look into it after I land my first full time job.

I have a gold American Express which I love, but it is a charge card, so the amount gets paid off in full every month. I love it as well, but I would not recommend it as your first one.

I'd stick with a bank. My dad wanted me to get one when I was young and only use it for gas/school books, cause he wanted me to build my credit. (Good advice, I have great credit now) Cards for gas and things are also good, and yes, paying them off helps establish your credit, in addition to the length you have them.
  8. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You can also start with a secured credit card if you don't want as much risk and they are easier to get to (credit score requirements aren't as strict as well).

I don't know who you or your SO bank with, but at our bank there is no requirement of being a customer for so long to get a credit card. But all banks have different rules so def check with them!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by augusta View Post
    I don't have a credit card personally but I work at a credit union. Definitely go through your bank. I can't speak for all of them of course, but we offer different incentives throughout the year. Right now you get a $25 gift card for opening a credit card. And where I work you do not have to be a member for a certain amount of time. You can definitely build up your credit. Paying your minimum on time each month will definitely establish your credit but I always advise people to try to completely pay off the full balance each month and make 2+ payments monthly. Obviously, that's not always possible, but it is always better for your credit to pay smaller payments weekly instead of just your minimum in one lump sum each sum. You are also paying less interest that way.
    Oh awesome. Thank you so much!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    You can also start with a secured credit card if you don't want as much risk and they are easier to get to (credit score requirements aren't as strict as well).

I don't know who you or your SO bank with, but at our bank there is no requirement of being a customer for so long to get a credit card. But all banks have different rules so def check with them!
    With the secured card, what is the restriction to that? What makes it "secured"? Just lower limits?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast