Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what was YOUR budget in college

1. sassypants
    sassypants

what was YOUR budget in college

Advertisements
    IM crunching numbers (as a good distraction from class/finals study time) as I get ready to transfer.

and Im like, well how much SHOULD I expect to spend, and how much will I want left over after Rent/tuition/car joyous stuff

im at al oss

how did you do it

rocket_liz is my wifey
  2. Senior Member
    I went to college back in the 80’s...so mine won’t work, lol. However, I do have a 20yo in college right now. She gets $600/mo for gas, food, clothes, incidentals, etc.
  3. Regular Member
    Oh wow haha. I never really budgeted. I took out enough loans to cover the remaining balance of my tuition after financial aid, and my rent for the year (since that was the most and I knew I needed to pay it no matter what), but that was it. Everything else, I had a part-time job for, and I just made sure that lasted.
  4. Senior Member
    Agree with PP. I took enough financial aid to cover tuition and rent, then worked two part-time jobs all year to pay for groceries, gas, fun stuff. I usually earned about $500 a month to cover all of that.

5. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I'm with the other posters... for me, student loans covered the absolute necessities: tuition, books, rent and maybe utilities (although this was covered by my rent). In the summers I worked 2 jobs and would save most of my pay so that I could afford cell phone, car insurance. Usually, I worked at least 1 job while in school to cover food, gas, and "fun".

www.SnarkyFit.com
  6. Regular Member
    I worked throughout college, so I just kind of spent whatever I wanted to. I paid for tuition, rent, books, and all that crap in the beginning of the semester and whatever was left/whatever I made at work was mine to spend.
  7. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    It really depends on your rent. My rent was 300 a month for the sorority house, then about 150 in utilities, so my parents gave me like 800 a month to spend on all house stuff plus gas and food and fun money. Plus every summer and winter I had a job and worked a shit ton so I could have lots of play money to work with each semester.
  8. verabot89
    verabot89
    In undergrad my housing and tuition was covered through financial aid. I lived in the dorms. I had about 200 a month to spend in whatever. In grad school I used to loans to cover housing, food and basic costs. I allowed myself 1200 a month from loans and worked to make up whatever else I needed.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

9. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

I paid for school beginning the year. And Then worked. My rent was $525 but I split it half way through the year with a roommate. And I had utilities and food. I spent the remainder however I wanted. I had more extra cash then than I do now I also did make sure I had rent available out of my loans if my checks were short.
  10. Senior Member
    I spend as little money as possible and avoid the art stores
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast