Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Car Buying Tips?

1. Senior Member

Car Buying Tips?

Advertisements
    What are yall's strategies for buying a new car from a dealership? I hate the games that they all seem to play and I feel like I can't trust the sticker prices since there is so much room for negotiating.

DH and I looked at a new Tacoma today and we got them to give us $2,500 off but I still feel like we could get more off (the base price was $34,346). I told the guy we would think about it and give him a call once we find out if our car is definitely totaled (which I am pretty sure it will be).

So what suggestions do yall have for how to negotiate a better deal with dealerships?
  2. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Go in there and say you can only afford to spend X (28k). You wish you could spend more cuz you love the car, but you are afraid you will have to go elsewhere as you can not afford to go over 28k total. They may not bring it down that far, but they may bring it to 30k.
  3. Senior Member
    Do you have usaa? Their car buying service saved me a few thousand dollars and it was really easy.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.VinoVet View Post
    Go in there and say you can only afford to spend X (28k). You wish you could spend more cuz you love the car, but you are afraid you will have to go elsewhere as you can not afford to go over 28k total. They may not bring it down that far, but they may bring it to 30k.
    I hadnt thought of doing that! ugh this is such a silly game!

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Do you have usaa? Their car buying service saved me a few thousand dollars and it was really easy.
    We do have USAA but I hadn't looked into their car buying service. I will have to check it out!
  5. Senior Member
    Do all negotiating in advance via email. It's so much easier to avoid the pressure tactics that way, and you can compare multiple dealerships and even play them against each other.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Regular Member
    Here's a link to the USAA Car Buying Service. The overall program is called Auto Circle and through it you can find, finance, insure and even buy or sell used vehicles. There are also special discounts for USAA members
    J.J. Montanaro is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practicioner with USAA Financial Planning Services one of the USAA family of companies.
  7. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    When I got my car from Nissan I just kept saying to them "No I need the price lower I can only afford to pay x amount a month, and I can NOT and will not go even a $1 over."

Nissan not only had a MUCH lower interest rate than the bank, but they really worked with me to get me what I wanted/needed. I got my Sentra for over $5k off the sticker price! On top of that I also got a military discount(I bought it and registered it all in DH's name), and the manager went ahead and gave me the $2k sales rebate. Even though the special had supposedly ended the day before. So I had that on top of what I already was going to put down as a down payment! My payments are also a little over $60 cheaper than I what I had said I was willing to pay..
    Signature removed due to size.
  8. Senior Member
    Yea, Just come with a price that you can afford, stick to your price. Don't go over it. I have not used the AutoCircle by USAA but I have looked it up recently. Know what you want from the deal that you are making, do you want them to add options to the vehicle do you want them to add maintenance or additional warranties to the car. You have the power in the situation if you choose to have it. You are the one that is forking over the loan for this vehicle. If they are not willing to make the deal, there are other vehicles, dealers, sales people that are looking for your money. Walk Away.
    ~ Sara ~
  9. Senior Member
    Part of it is being tougher than tough. Don't give them ANY reason to think you would budge
  10. Senior Member
    Usaa car buying service is awesome. We've used it twice, and getting ready to use it again. If you're looking for no haggling, this is the way to go. You walk in with your certificate that guarantees a low price, and they have to honor it.