Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyway to get around an ETF?

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver

Is there anyway to get around an ETF?

Advertisements
    I am really dissatisfied with my cell phone service (t-mobile). I get really good service until I leave northern VA and then it's terrible. I have a brand new phone that I bought in June, so it shouldn't be the problem. I want to get off this plan and go with Verizon since I've heard great things about them, but there's an early termination fee of $200. Is there anyway around that fee? I'm still on my mom's family plan if that matters.

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Call them and ask. The worst they can say is no, then you try other methods. Especially since they are doing away with contracts anyways.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. I'm coming home to you
    I'm coming home to you
    I'm not sure if there's any way to get out of it. I don't think that your service would have anything to do with your phone (new or old) anyway. The only thing that might determine that (in a phone) would be like... Internet service. So, if they're trying to convince you to buy a new phone saying it'll give you better service, I'm not sure I'd believe that.
  4. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by canopy0fleaves View Post
    I'm not sure if there's any way to get out of it. I don't think that your service would have anything to do with your phone (new or old) anyway. The only thing that might determine that (in a phone) would be like... Internet service. So, if they're trying to convince you to buy a new phone saying it'll give you better service, I'm not sure I'd believe that.
    No, no one's trying to sell me a new phone. I was just ruling that out as a cause for bad service.

5. I'm coming home to you
    I'm coming home to you
    Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    No, no one's trying to sell me a new phone. I was just ruling that out as a cause for bad service.
    Haha oh okay sorry about that! I misunderstood
  6. 021409<3
    021409<3
    You can call and tell them you don't have service and you want out of your contact but no one on the phone will be able to waive the ETF for you. What they'll probably do is have you get in touch with contract review which is only available through fax, email, or snail mail. They might waive it but chances are it's probably not going to happen. Your ETF will go down the closer you are to your contract end date though. If I remember correctly at 6 months out it goes down to $100 and at 90 days it goes down to $50. (I used to work for them.)
  7. Senior Member
    I know this is just a temporary fix, but can you update your roaming somehow? Like on Verizon, when your service isn't so great, or you go to a new area, you are supposed to dial *228 to update roaming and software.

Other than that, I'd say call and ask.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. Senior Member
    Call and ask. They will almost certainly say no, and when they do, politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Repeat until you get someone who sounds like they might be able to work with you, and then see what you can get out of them. If they won't waive it entirely, ask if they will cut it in half. Focus on the poor reception issue.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Ashley View Post
    You can call and tell them you don't have service and you want out of your contact but no one on the phone will be able to waive the ETF for you. What they'll probably do is have you get in touch with contract review which is only available through fax, email, or snail mail. They might waive it but chances are it's probably not going to happen. Your ETF will go down the closer you are to your contract end date though. If I remember correctly at 6 months out it goes down to $100 and at 90 days it goes down to $50. (I used to work for them.)
    Thanks for the info! Do you think it would be beneficial to go into the store here? Or would it just be better to call? We have about 1.2 years left on our contract so I don't think there's any discounted fee.

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    I know this is just a temporary fix, but can you update your roaming somehow? Like on Verizon, when your service isn't so great, or you go to a new area, you are supposed to dial *228 to update roaming and software.

Other than that, I'd say call and ask.
    Hmmm, I'll try to look on their support site for roaming information. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Call and ask. They will almost certainly say no, and when they do, politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Repeat until you get someone who sounds like they might be able to work with you, and then see what you can get out of them. If they won't waive it entirely, ask if they will cut it in half. Focus on the poor reception issue.
    I will be calling them for sure and/or going to the local branch here and speaking with someone.

Thanks for all the advice!

10. Senior Member
    I don't think there is, but you can call Verizon and tell them that you, currently, have a contract, but you're wanting to switch. They might pay it for you, since you'll be giving them business. I know I've heard of that working for some people. worth a shot.
    if i never see you again i will always carry you
    inside outside

on my fingertips and at brain edges

and in centers
    centers of what i am of what remains
    --- charles bukowski.

time to eas, baby!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast