Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Money Internationally

1. Senior Member

Nutts Wiring Money Internationally

Advertisements
    Last summer DH and I backpacked Europe. We ended up having to go to the hospital in Belgium. We just now got an invoice from them for the cost. On the invoice it says to "transfer the amount due to our banking account" then it gives their bank info. I tried to go through our bank but they do not perform transfers to bank accounts in Belgium. Does anyone have any experience with this? Advice?

I sent an e-mail to the e-mail address on the invoice but I got an automatic response saying they will be out until the 19th. The letter is dated Jan. 21, and said that we have a "fortnight" before it goes to their claims department and all attending costs will then be at our expense. We didn't even get the letter until yesterday, so I hope whoever I e-mailed can be of some help in that regards.
    ~Sara~
  2. Senior Member
    My grandpa had to go to the hospital when we were on vacation in Germany. First, they submitted all of the outgoing paperwork and fees that they received at the hospital to their insurance company. The insurance company paid that in full. Later they received a bill for the ambulance. That, they paid by wire transfer online through their bank. I find it very odd that your bank won't do a wire transfer. Do you have another bank you could go through? Perhaps a relative that you could have do it and then pay them back?

Also did you ever submit to insurance? Or did you get a bill when you left?
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  3. verabot89
    verabot89
    Is that how billing normally works there? That sounds super sketchy to me, but I don't know much about it.
    MrsJennyyy is mah wife

4. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FruitPunch. View Post
    Is that how billing normally works there? That sounds super sketchy to me, but I don't know much about it.

I would never in a million years transfer money into an international account just because a letter said so. I would have my bank look it over and speak with someone that sent the letter. Also, I don't know much about this either but I would not be comfortable doing that.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    My grandpa had to go to the hospital when we were on vacation in Germany. First, they submitted all of the outgoing paperwork and fees that they received at the hospital to their insurance company. The insurance company paid that in full. Later they received a bill for the ambulance. That, they paid by wire transfer online through their bank. I find it very odd that your bank won't do a wire transfer. Do you have another bank you could go through? Perhaps a relative that you could have do it and then pay them back?

Also did you ever submit to insurance? Or did you get a bill when you left?
    Our normal insurance doesn't cover international things. We did have travel insurance but it was such a small amount of money that they way they handle it is, we pay then they reimburse us. They gave us no bill when we left, when we asked, they said it would come in the mail.

My bank does transfer internationally, just not to all countries and Belgium is on that isn't on the list. I will see if my mom or dad's bank can transfer it, that's a good idea!

Honestly, I have no idea how it normally works. We tried to pay when we checked out so that we wouldn't have to deal with this but they said no and that we would get an invoice in the mail "maybe" if they figured out how to enter our address correctly.
    ~Sara~
  6. Senior Member
    I live in the UK and my parents send me money sometimes. What you will need is the intermediary bank that the bank in Belgium uses - so you will have the info for the bank in Belgium, but that bank will do it's transfers through a bank with a presence in both the US and Belgium - that is what you will need to complete the transfer. I would ask the bank in Belgium for that (it's also sometimes known as their correspondent bank)...if they can't help, the Western Union should be able to transfer for you (I've used them before too)
    I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so you can learn to let go.
    Things go wrong so you can appreciate them when they're right.
    You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.
    And sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

- Marilyn Monroe
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

International wire transfers should be a possibility - just keep in mind that there will probably be a fee to initiate the wire transfer, and the company you are wiring too may also charge an incoming wire fee, and there may be a foreign currency fee as well. So in order to pay the bill you will probably have to pay more than what they are actually requesting to make sure all the charges are covered. If you are in email contact with this company in Belgium they should be able to give more information on that.

I also think your bank should be able to provide more information too regarding sending money internationally. If they don't do international wire transfers they should at least be able to provide you with some options.

Companies like Western Union do also allow you to send money internationally but their rates are very high, it will in virtually all circumstances be much cheaper to send the money through a wire transfer.
  8. Senior Member
    That is how it worked for the hospital in germany. I called and asked, and they said it was the easiest way for them and for my grandparents. I mean the bill was legit, and it was definitely from the ambulance company. It is so much easier to do wire transfers than send a check.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Our normal insurance doesn't cover international things. We did have travel insurance but it was such a small amount of money that they way they handle it is, we pay then they reimburse us. They gave us no bill when we left, when we asked, they said it would come in the mail.

My bank does transfer internationally, just not to all countries and Belgium is on that isn't on the list. I will see if my mom or dad's bank can transfer it, that's a good idea!

Honestly, I have no idea how it normally works. We tried to pay when we checked out so that we wouldn't have to deal with this but they said no and that we would get an invoice in the mail "maybe" if they figured out how to enter our address correctly.
    Oh yeah I should have said that they had to pay with their CC before leaving the hospital, and then were given a bill and all of the necessary paperwork so that they could get reimbursed from their insurance. They just stuck it all in an envelope and then the insurance company sent back a check. It was honestly so little for the services given, only $4600 for three days in the hospital, that I think the insurance company was surprised!
  10. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Oh yeah I should have said that they had to pay with their CC before leaving the hospital, and then were given a bill and all of the necessary paperwork so that they could get reimbursed from their insurance. They just stuck it all in an envelope and then the insurance company sent back a check. It was honestly so little for the services given, only $4600 for three days in the hospital, that I think the insurance company was surprised!

That cost my sister like $80,000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast