Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone file their own taxes?

1. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

Help Does anyone file their own taxes?

Advertisements
    DH and I planned on filing taxes today but the place on base was closed. We were curious to see what we'd be getting back so I went on turbo tax and tried to fill it out. It's saying we owe about $1000.00 in alterntive minimum tax and that we would be getting zero back.

I have never tried a website like this so I could have done it completely wrong but that just seems....wrong. He was deployed for six months of the year and we bought a house so we've got that as deductions. Does it seem normal we'd have to pay? We'll be going on base or paying someone to do them for real, but now I'm nervous that we're going to owe money (which we could do but would be disappointing). Last year we got about $2500 and the year before we got $200......he's been military (and the same rank) and me not working the whole time so it just seems extremely erratic to me.

Any advice appreciated! Like I said, we'll be having someone else do them but I'm just curious at this point.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    All these programs, and people, use basically the same underlying program, ala the IRS tax code and charts. Its a matter of whether it asks you all the right questions, and whether you answer them correctly. There are two or three free tax prep programs online that you can try too. I never found that live tax preparers ever did much better than I did using tax act or turbo tax type programs.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh, also don't forget to make sure your program is updated.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member

For the past 10yrs I have done mine on Taxslayer.com.

We are both Mil so ours is as simple as it can get.
  5. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

I do my own taxes every year. I used to use TaxAct but when I got married I started using Turbo Tax for no particular reason. They've always worked well for me. Is it possible you answered any questions wrong? Maybe go double check all your work? I've never known them to be very off unless it was human error

6. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    All these programs, and people, use basically the same underlying program, ala the IRS tax code and charts. Its a matter of whether it asks you all the right questions, and whether you answer them correctly. There are two or three free tax prep programs online that you can try too. I never found that live tax preparers ever did much better than I did using tax act or turbo tax type programs.
    Thanks, that makes me feel better about doing it myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    For the past 10yrs I have done mine on Taxslayer.com.

We are both Mil so ours is as simple as it can get.
    I'll try that and see if it says the same thing. Have you ever had to pay taxes after or because of a deployment?

Quote Originally Posted by bajingo View Post
    I do my own taxes every year. I used to use TaxAct but when I got married I started using Turbo Tax for no particular reason. They've always worked well for me. Is it possible you answered any questions wrong? Maybe go double check all your work? I've never known them to be very off unless it was human error
    Very possible I answered wrong I'm trying taxslayer now to see if it comes out any different
  7. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    We filed ours online via H&R Block. I don't trust Turbo Tax for shit. They said we'd only get about 2000 back when we're actually getting over 6000 not including state.

It is possible to have to pay though if you make too much. My mom hasn't gotten any money back for years. She's had to pay them for quite awhile.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  8. Pour a little salt, we were never here

Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    We filed ours online via H&R Block. I don't trust Turbo Tax for shit. They said we'd only get about 2000 back when we're actually getting over 6000 not including state.

It is possible to have to pay though if you make too much. My mom hasn't gotten any money back for years. She's had to pay them for quite awhile.
    I think I'll just try all the sites and see if I get radically different answers So far on taxslayer it's already saying we'll get $1300.......we'll see
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I think I'll just try all the sites and see if I get radically different answers So far on taxslayer it's already saying we'll get $1300.......we'll see
    Yea, never go with the first one. Always test out the others & we always call customer service for each after we're done just to go over it all & make sure we did it right.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    We usually use the free people on base. This year we used taxslary and getting almost $10,000 back
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast