Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the papers everywhere

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Exclamation Questions about the papers everywhere

Advertisements
    So I am currently sitting in my living room with 6 very large boxes of papers and receipts that I haven't gone through in WAY to long. I also have full years worth of paid bill stubs (verizon, electric bill, rent etc).

I am attempting to organize, de-clutter, and get ready for taxes all at the same time. So, some questions.

1. How long or do you have to keep stubs of bills?
    2. What about past pay stubs?
    3. How many years of taxes are you supposed to keep? I have all of mine and am curious if I can toss some.
    4. What about H&W paperwork is there a timeline you should keep that? Or Tricare papers?
    5. LES's?

I know I may be over thinking it all but I do not want to throw out anything I will need in the future.
  2. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    We keep everything Tricare/medical related no matter what. Once a year, I scan everything into a PDF file and then after backing it up, I shred it. There are a few exceptions, like records.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyprincess13 View Post
    We keep everything Tricare/medical related no matter what. Once a year, I scan everything into a PDF file and then after backing it up, I shred it. There are a few exceptions, like records.
    Do you keep and backup other things like your phone bills, electric/gas bills, rent etc or just shred them?
  4. Moderator

I don't keep much. If it wasn't last year or a medical record, it's probably gone. I also have almost everything set to ebill. I hate all the paper.
  5. Senior Member

I dont keep any of it. We are both AD so we can get pretty much everything online.
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    I don't keep much. If it wasn't last year or a medical record, it's probably gone. I also have almost everything set to ebill. I hate all the paper.
    That is good to hear because I have stacks since 08 that I'd love to shred

I don't like e-bill because I lose stuff in my email and most my bills don't offer it. Maybe I need to figure out a system for it. I pay most of my bills online and have folders of SS of payments. But some are still by check.
    It's feeling good to condense. I have so far taken two of my huge bins and condensed it to 2 photo boxes. Progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    I dont keep any of it. We are both AD so we can get pretty much everything online.
    Ahhh okay. So do you have online records of things or just nothing at all?
  7. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by HisByzantineLove View Post
    Do you keep and backup other things like your phone bills, electric/gas bills, rent etc or just shred them?
    We keep everything for three years and then shred a year at the end of the third using the same scan method.
  8. Open arms, open heart
    Open arms, open heart
    I keep all my bills for that year; I only have one paper bill though, and the rest are online, sorted into email folders. Those get deleted after one year as well. Pay stubs are shredded as soon as they are reconciled with my W2.

I believe you are supposed to keep taxes for 7 years.
  9. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBo View Post
    I keep all my bills for that year; I only have one paper bill though, and the rest are online, sorted into email folders. Those get deleted after one year as well. Pay stubs are shredded as soon as they are reconciled with my W2.

I believe you are supposed to keep taxes for 7 years.
    I keep current pay stubs and last years' as well, until I know I haven't gotten audited
    Tax return info I keep for maybe 3 years but TurboTax has it stored for me too.

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  10. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Appreciate all the insights. I'm giving my shredder a break its overheating Atm. i have shredded 05-09 stuff. My house is a disaster. I'm getting down to little photo boxes for each year, I am excited about that. Now it's finishing it all up, getting 2012 taken care of for taxes, inputting a better system for 2013 and putting my office into working order for my business. Overwhelming solo with a toddler for sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast