Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: W-2 question?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

W-2 question?

Advertisements
    DH is deployed and has been since early Sept. While he has been there he got a reenlistment bonus. It was not supposed to be taxed, they taxed it anyway and then fixed it the next paycheck which was fine. Now in his wages box it is definitely including that bonus. Is that correct? He didn't think any non taxable income was supposed to be included in that portion and I really have no clue. He's contacting finance to ask but they take forever so I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on the matter? Sorry if that sounds jumbled, I'm a little tax clueless .
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    are you sure the bonus is there?

is the wages amount his entire year or just the 8 months + bonus?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It is just the 8 months plus the bonus .
  4. Banned
    Banned
    there should be 2 boxes 1 for taxable income 1 for non-taxable income, is there an amount in the taxable income that shows the other 4 months of income?
  5. Senior Member
    Sounds wrong to me. He should ask finance.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    there should be 2 boxes 1 for taxable income 1 for non-taxable income, is there an amount in the taxable income that shows the other 4 months of income?
    two boxes, it shows the amount that would be 8 months of taxed income and the bonus in 1 box and 4 months worth of non taxed income in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Sounds wrong to me. He should ask finance.
    I'm glad it sounds wrong to someone else because we were expecting to get at least some money back, not to owe over a grand .
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I don't recall if bonuses are still taxed or not (While on deployment)... but he needs to talk to finance. If they made a mistake then they will have to issue a corrected W-2. Don't file taxes until he talks to finance.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I don't recall if bonuses are still taxed or not (While on deployment)... but he needs to talk to finance. If they made a mistake then they will have to issue a corrected W-2. Don't file taxes until he talks to finance.
    Yeah we were told it was not supposed to be taxed when they did it back when he got his bonus and they fixed it, DH thinks something could of gotten mixed up because of that (they've also messed up his pay numerous times in the last 4 months ) so he is definitely talking to finance before we file.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

*All pay received in a month where you served in a combat zone for at least one day is not taxable and should not be included with the gross income in block 1.* Among a long block of text DH got back this was in there they got it wrong which means we will not owe a ton of money, thank goodness .