Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Owe more taxes?

1. Senior Member

Owe more taxes?

Advertisements
    I got a letter in the mail from the Arizona Department of Revenue saying that I underpaid my taxes way back in 2008. It's written in all kinds of fancy words, and it has several options, like protest, pay, and a few others. I've always done my taxes with TurboTax, so I don't know how that would happen.

It says I under reported my income by $4000 and that I now owe $120 in back taxes. I have until March 13th to protest.

What should I do?
  2. Senior Member
    It sounds like you had a W-2 (or is it 4? I can never remember!) that wasn't included when you filed, but was reported to the IRS. Does the form say anything else (like details of what was underreported)?

If there was a source of income that you didn't include, then Turbo Tax wouldn't know anything about that money, so it wouldn't have been included. So having used TurboTax doesn't mean your return can't be wrong, since it relies on you to enter the info.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    for the hundred and twenty? I would just pay. it will cost you more in grief, time and money to fight it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It sounds like you had a W-2 (or is it 4? I can never remember!) that wasn't included when you filed, but was reported to the IRS. Does the form say anything else (like details of what was underreported)?

If there was a source of income that you didn't include, then Turbo Tax wouldn't know anything about that money, so it wouldn't have been included. So having used TurboTax doesn't mean your return can't be wrong, since it relies on you to enter the info.
    Ok that would make sense. I will have to go back and look at my records. I wonder what I would have neglected to enter??
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Or, you could ask them to send the details of why they think you under reported and what income you did underreport. See whether they are correct or did they make an error?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Or, you could ask them to send the details of why they think you under reported and what income you did underreport. See whether they are correct or did they make an error?
    That's a good idea. There is a phone number. I will figure it out in January I think
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roxieluvs View Post
    That's a good idea. There is a phone number. I will figure it out in January I think
    No. Dont call. Write. And make sure it is within the deadline. Read the letter carefully and follow the instructions.
  8. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

Check with an accountant..I believe my CPA said there was a limitation of time for correction of taxes...doesn't hurt to ask.
  9. Senior Member
    If you wait you could get in a lot of trouble. Either write or go into an IRS office right away. If you write send it overnight return receipt requested. this would probably be under a protest. If you don't have an IRS office nearby you could also have an appointment with a CPA and they can do the footwork to find out what happened and make sure it get s in on time.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE