Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you and your SO....

1. Senior Member

How do you and your SO....

Advertisements
    This came up in conversation with some friends over the weekend.... How do you and your significant other handle your finances? Does everything go into one big pot that everything then gets paid out of, or do you have separate accounts? Why did you choose that system over the other?
  2. Moderator

We have one account. I pay the bills. We do it this way because I'm slightly more organized than he is, so I can keep track better. Right now, his is the only income, but we do it this way when I work as well. We just don't really have any division in anything in our lives really, not just money. It's how we work best.
  3. Senior Member
    We have a joint account but I handle all the bills. We started out with a joint account and I intended to make my own once I started working, but honestly a single account has been working out just fine for us. We're both pretty financially responsible so we don't see any reason to split our money up.
  4. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    We have a joint account
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  5. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

We have a joint account and I pay the bills, do the budget. He brings in the only income. For the short time I had an income, and if I ever do in the future it will go into our joint account.
  6. AKA: Jerseyatheart86
    AKA: Jerseyatheart86

A joint account.

7. Senior Member
    Thanks for the responses guys! I look forward to see what everyone else's responses are.

For me and DB, we are not currently at the point in our relationship where we would be sharing anything financial. However, for me, if I am in that kind of relationship with someone it would be a deal breaker for me not to have a joint account - no separate accounts - full disclosure of everything. All debts and subsequent assets (cars, house, etc. need to be in both person's names) At most, I would be comfortable with us each having our own credit cards for situations where we might want to buy a gift for the other person without their immediate knowledge, but all bills and purchases would eventually be made public knowledge. Ultimately, everything joint and no privacy. While keeping finances separate works for many people, in my experience in my life, when finances have been kept separate then the parties stop acting as a team and start hiding things from each other and when partners stop acting as a team then the relationship itself falls apart.

Again, I know that separate finances works for others, and I'm interested in knowing why it works for you.

For those of you who know a bit more about my personal financial situation, this is part of the reason why I am working so hard to get my own house in order. Not only does it need to be done for my own sake, but I would not be doing anyone any favors by merging my financial situation with theirs.
  8. Senior Member
    We have a joint account. It works best that way for us. We consider the income(s) as 'ours', and not individually.
  9. Senior Member
    We have one account. When I am working my checks go straight into his account. I have a card linked to it and so does he. It's easier for us to see all we have when it's all in one place. Also I like it because it was one of our first things we did together after we got married. Like our first married thing i dont know if that sounds silly but it seems special to me
  10. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    We will have a joint account and also each one of us will have separate accounts. It will be easier to then have 'my' monthly money so I can buy groceries, gas, etc..., his monthly money for the same shit, but then our joint account for big purchases, savings etc... It will help to keep our credit score high if we both are using our own accounts to build our own personal credit histories, which will translate to our married credit history as well, but each person having their own credit can be very important, especially when going for things like car loans, or mortgages. If I didnt have my own career, we would probs just have one account, but because of that it also makes a lot of sense to have 2 accounts. I dont think it will affect out 'teamness' at all. Also, separate accounts doesnt mean full disclosure. He knows my debt I know his (lack of) debt. We are fully aware of everything. If he wanted to look at my account, I would gladly show him, as he would do the same for me. I dont think it means we are hiding anything. It means I had my accounts before I was with him and I am keeping them because its good to build my own monetary history in todays world.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast