Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax time

1. Senior Member

Tax time

Advertisements
    I have always used Turbo Tax (I also always do the hr block software to see if they are both the same amount - and they have been - every year)

SO said he tried all turbo, hr software and in person and jackson hewitt and liberty (only try missing is CPA). He swears by Jackson Hewitt and how they increased his tax return by 4000$.

We will not be filing jointly this year. And I am trying to decide if I really want to fork out for someone else to do them for me, I mean if it can really increase my return it def could be worth it. But would love to hear from more than my one person, if anyone has had similar experience with getting more money back by using a way other than turbo tax???
  2. Senior Member
    I'm sure you have your reasons for not filing jointly this year, but I would look into doing so if you can. There are a bunch of deductions you aren't allowed to take if you file "married filing separately." They may not apply to you though.

I'm sure someone here will know the best service to use. Sorry it wasn't me. Good luck!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We have found it worth it to have someone do taxes for us, then again ours have been a little more complicated with military moves, getting married and having babies.
    This year we are having someone do our taxes for the same kind of reasons a move, buying a house, having a baby ect
  4. Senior Member
    I always do mine on Turbo Tax. Last year my ex insisted I go to his tax guy because he'll get me more money but I got the same amount back as I would have gotten from Turbo Tax. The guy cost me $80.
  5. There's no testimony without the test.
    There's no testimony without the test.
    We used TaxSlayer last year. Free and worked great for us, and was super easy.
  6. Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    Amazon nut & Supernatural freak.
    We've been using HR Block agents for years and never had a problem. I've heard there are volunteers on base that do taxes for service members for free - I don't know if they take responsibility if anything goes wrong.

I am curious about J-H, as well, if they are better than HR Block or about the same.
  7. Senior Member
    We use turbo tax, it found me a 1,000 student credit that I didn't even know I could get last year Plus, filing jointly got us quite a bit of money back.

8. Senior Member
    I use my Mom, the accountant.

Anyways, she uses TurboTax, but it is for businesses.

If your taxes are not that complicated it is probably just as well that you do them yourself. Its not like accountants can magically pull out tax deductions out of their butts.

Also, a reminder, that your return is often what you paid over what you were really supposed to pay.... You're just getting money back you weren't supposed to pay in the first place.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pftube View Post
    We use turbo tax, it found me a 1,000 student credit that I didn't even know I could get last year Plus, filing jointly got us quite a bit of money back.
    Just to let you know, depending on how you pay for your tuition, and how much you pay, you can get up to $2000 back! (Or at least thats how much I got and I got the maximum)

Although I just looked it up and it looks like there is a newer credit for up to $2500!
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Just to let you know, depending on how you pay for your tuition, and how much you pay, you can get up to $2000 back! (Or at least thats how much I got and I got the maximum)

Although I just looked it up and it looks like there is a newer credit for up to $2500!
    hot damn That'd be awesome! I hope it works out that way this year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast