Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Identity theft.

1. Senior Member

Help Identity theft.

Advertisements
    I'm not sure if this belongs here or not. Anyways, I need some help on what I can do.

When I was 18 I went to open up my first bank account, find out I can't because it showed that I had other accounts open that had been closed due to insufficient funds. I didn't open any accounts before I was 18. The bank gives me a copy of what they had, which showed where the other THREE bank accounts were at, and if they all were closed or open. It also showed someone ELSE'S name with my social security number. These banks were in AZ. I never lived in AZ, I've been in PA since I was 5. So I deal with the banks fraud department, file a police report (which my police department was oh so happy to help with..NOT), and tried to find out how to press charges for identity theft. They said it was hard to do since I'm in PA and she's in AZ. So I left it alone, and went on with my life. I was able to open up my own bank account, I had a fraud alert placed, and I have since gotten a few credit cards. All has been fine. Until tonight.

I opened up one of my credit cards statements and there was a charge that I didn't make, and it even said AZ next to it. So I call the card company and ask what the charge was. It was for garden plants, and torches. I told him I didn't make that purchase and asked if it was in fact purchased in AZ. He confirmed it. It is the SAME city and state that the woman from above had been from and opened the bank accounts. I am so pissed. I canceled the account instead of getting a new account number and card because I'm afraid it'll just happen again with this company since it already did, and so easily.

Now for what I don't know how to do. I want to press charges, seriously because with us wanting to get a house when DH comes back, and possibly needing to take out a loan for IVF I don't need to have to worry about this happening yet AGAIN.

ETA: I'm very convinced it is the same person since it is in the same city and state as it was before.

2. Regular Member
    Have you checked out the Federal Trade Commission's website on the topic? Here's the link.
    J.J. Montanaro is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER practicioner with USAA Financial Planning Services one of the USAA family of companies.
  3. Senior Member
    I was told by a credit company that was working with we when I got accounts opened up from AT&T. They told me to go online with all the credit rating places like Equifax, Experian, TransUnion and put a block on your social security number. Its free but it lasts for I think 90 days but then after the 90 days you'll have to re-sign up and it lasts a few years. It makes it more difficult for fraud to happen. Good luck. It took me 6 months to clear the accounts someone opened up not once but twice. It was in CA and I was living in VA.
    Another day down is another day closer- tip to survive deployment #5
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randomdaisies View Post
    I was told by a credit company that was working with we when I got accounts opened up from AT&T. They told me to go online with all the credit rating places like Equifax, Experian, TransUnion and put a block on your social security number. Its free but it lasts for I think 90 days but then after the 90 days you'll have to re-sign up and it lasts a few years. It makes it more difficult for fraud to happen. Good luck. It took me 6 months to clear the accounts someone opened up not once but twice. It was in CA and I was living in VA.
    They did it for me, again. But I have to file a police report to have the fraud alert last for 7 years. I am definitely going to do that though.