Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to keep in a car maintenance/repair savings account?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How much to keep in a car maintenance/repair savings account?

Advertisements
    I am trying to estimate how much to keep in a car repair savings account. I think last time we had the car serviced it was $300ish. I think with the old car repairs ran between $300 and $700. It just seems like keeping a grand in a car repair/service account might be excessive, but if yearly maintenance is like $500 and registration is say $100 maybe a thousand it isn't an unreasonable amount so the extra money is there for unexpected things. Man I was really hoping the money saved from not having a car payment would be for more fun things.

Whatcha all think? Is there an amount that you think is a good number to squirrel away so that car expenses aren't stressful?
  2. Senior Member
    How old is your car? How many miles? If you are including registration and regular scheduled maintenance, $1000 doesn't seem all that off the mark, but if it's a new car, that's probably a bit high.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    Last time I needed a new part it was $550. Totally unexpected. I think having a $1000 cushion would be good, especially if your car is over 7 years old/has more than 70,000 miles.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Its a 2011 so a little over a year, 25,000 miles. The recommended service schedule is robbery. I been selectively ignoring some of the services cause I don't believe the dealer. I really should find a mechanic I like.
  5. Senior Member
    If you have my car, enough for a new car. Otherwise $1000 sounds reasonable.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    generally oil and fluid changes every 5000-7000 miles. Check your tires at regular intervals. A newer car should not need that much that wouldn't be covered under warranty.
    A big worry though is tires. Get a unrepairable flat and need to replace a tire, you could be talking 100-300, depending on the type you have.
    A thousand is liberal, but if you have it to put away, do it.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    You do need oil changes, go off the recommendations for maintenance/service in your Manual. My 2012 already has 30k and is due for the 30k check. Are your tires in good condition?

I just cracked my windshield unexpectedly and its $500 to fix because of the heating thing in it +2 new tires +30k check and now a new hubcap. So $1,000 might be a lifesaver. However I drive my car daily and its about to be winter. I'd at the very least have enough cushion to cover your deductible on your insurance.
  8. Senior Member
    I'd say make a goal of $1000, but focus on other things first. Since you have a newer car, things shouldn't really be going wrong. Do you know what your warranty is? Do you have AAA for unexpected towing or battery problems?

Also, at about 30,000 miles is when you should need new tires, so be prepared for that.

Definitely find a good mechanic rather than the dealer. The dealer has always ripped me off, and I only have gone there for warranty repairs.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmyGirlfriend-x View Post
    You do need oil changes, go off the recommendations for maintenance/service in your Manual. My 2012 already has 30k and is due for the 30k check. Are your tires in good condition?

I just cracked my windshield unexpectedly and its $500 to fix because of the heating thing in it +2 new tires +30k check and now a new hubcap. So $1,000 might be a lifesaver. However I drive my car daily and its about to be winter. I'd at the very least have enough cushion to cover your deductible on your insurance.
    Yeah, we are on the third windshield for this car. Fortunately the replacement of the replacement was covered under the repair warranty. Rocks suck. Tires are fine, I have been thinking of replacing one that has a scratch in the sidewall but it isn't a puncture at all, but the changes in temp will probably cause problems. The insurance deductible is a good call . So If I drop in the $150 a month for two months and then down to $100/month in car expenses that might be a tad excessive for the next few years, but after that there will be enough saved over time (minus the regular costs) to pay for a larger repair cost. Thanks all!
  10. Senior Member
    I keep 2x my deductible ($1000) in a car savings account. I have no real reason for that specific amount, but I'm neurotic about savings, so that could explain it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast