Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refinancing a car?

1. Senior Member

refinancing a car?

Advertisements
    I basically know nothing about this, so I'm just looking for some insight. I bought my car a year ago and my mom co signed. At the time, i basically didnt have credit and my mom has bad credit so i got a 9.5% interest rate. i had no choice but to finance a car because i had no money saved so i went for it and ive been paying it off for year. Since then theres been some other things that will have helped my credit, and i just recently started paying off student loans. Im never late on any payments for anything. Anyways, i know in the future i wanna try and refinance. Now how do i know when is a good time to do that? How long should i wait before looking into it? Again, I honestly really know nothing, so any insight would be great.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    look at your credit score, see if it has changed and gone up. if it has changed more than 50 points refi as soon as possible.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    look at your credit score, see if it has changed and gone up. if it has changed more than 50 points refi as soon as possible.

And make sure you shop around when it comes to interest rates. USAA tried offer us 9% the first time, and I ended up getting 4% through Nissan.

Banned
    You want to make sure that your credit score is as close to 700 as possible. 700+ will get you the best rates. Also, don't be afraid to bank shop. Check out all sorts of banks, and see what they offer, and go from there. Also check out to see what their penalties are and whatnot.
  5. Senior Member
    thanks guys. i really need to find out my credit score
  6. Señor Member
    Señor Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cassadilla View Post
    thanks guys. i really need to find out my credit score
    You should be able to see it through your bank. I'm pretty sure they'll give it to you free for a year?

be cool.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh, Baby♥ View Post
    You should be able to see it through your bank. I'm pretty sure they'll give it to you free for a year?
    oh cool. i didnt know that. ill have to look into it
  8. Senior Member
    Nobody else has mentioned this, but usually you have to put money down on the principle in order to refinance. When I had my car with my credit union (BECU), they wanted $1k down in order to refinance. Just keep that in mind. If you don't have anything to put down, it may not be worth your effort right now.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    Nobody else has mentioned this, but usually you have to put money down on the principle in order to refinance. When I had my car with my credit union (BECU), they wanted $1k down in order to refinance. Just keep that in mind. If you don't have anything to put down, it may not be worth your effort right now.
    i didnt know that either. thanks for the heads up!
  10. Mouse Addict
    Mouse Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorous View Post
    We didn't have to put anything down when we just refinanced DF's car through USAA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast