Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Saving Funds or other savings for children

1. Junior Member

College Saving Funds or other savings for children

Advertisements
    I'm just full of questions today! Lol! When having a baby, is it wise to start some kind of savings for them and if so, how much is a good amount to put away monthly? Thanks

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

2. Senior Member
    I would! DH and I are already putting into savings for our child. Currently I set aside 100 a paycheck, so 200 a month.

3. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    We plan to. Both DH & I didn't have a college fund. I pay for my schooling out of my own pocket & DH joined the military right after high school. We plan to put away at least $100 each month.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  4. Senior Member
    I think it is a good idea. I think it has less to do with what others are putting into theirs though and more on what your finances look like and how much money you bring in.
  5. Love is friendship on fire
    Love is friendship on fire
    Blog Entries
    Have you ever heard of the Gerber Life savings? (I think that is what it is called) You can set up a savings fund with them. It is suppose to be a really good program.
    "Absence diminishes small loves and increases great ones, as the wind blows out the candle and fans the bonfire."
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

"Trust in the lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding."
    Proverbs 3:5
  6. In vino veritas
    In vino veritas
    We are. MF currently sets aside 200 per paycheck. When I get out of school we will be, combined trying to do 600 a month if not more.
  7. Senior Member
    Definitely a good idea! I had a savings account set up for me when I was born. My Mom invested it in many CDs over the years, though those aren't that great anymore. I put all of my birthday and gift money into it, and I was able to pay for my first 1 and a half years of college myself. ( College costs have gone way up, because it was planned to be for more years of school)

If I were having a child, I would set up a trust fund personally. (Of course as long as I were 100% financially stable because you can not touch trust funds after they are set up) It would have helped me greatly if my money was in a trust fund, as it would have resolved some of the technicalities involving in state tuition.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses Does anyone know about the 529 college savings accounts? We were looking at the USAA one.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

9. Senior Member
    We're looking at the USAA 529 for the kids. They can also get the money if they don't go to school, but it is taxed I believe or you can transfer that money to another kids account.
  10. Senior Member
    It would have helped me greatly if my money was in a trust fund, as it would have resolved some of the technicalities involving in state tuition. >>

OT - but what does a trust have to do with in-state tuition? That is almost always based on your parent/parents' residency.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast